coordinate skew from MapSource to eTrex VistaC

I have a perplexing quesstion. If I try to load cache coordinates directly into my GPS without using the MapSource software, the coordinates are not where the cache is.

For some reason I have to load the coordinates into MapSource and then into my GPS. There is some kind of skew going on. I'll load the coordinates from a cache description page into MapSource and then from MapSource into my GPS. The GPS WILL lead me to the cache location but if I look at the coordinates in my GPS they are not the same as what is on the cache description page.

For instance for 'Tired of Caching' the geocaching.com coordinates are...

N 34 06.408 W 117 32.872

But when I load those exact coordinates into MapSource and then download them to my GPS they are changed to...

N 34 06.409 W 117 32.826 (which does take me right to the cache.)

Is there any kind of setting I need to adjust with with MapSource or with the GPS?

Your GPSr should be set in the WGS84 datum and use the DD° MM.MMM coordinate format (Degrees Minutes DecimalMinutes). In Mapsource/Edit/Preferences/Position tab, you need to make sure that is set the same way.

Since you are a Premium Member, you can create Pocket Queries and if you have the latest version of Mapsource (free download from the Garmin site), it can handle those .gpx files.

Make sure everything (mapsource and your GPSr) are set with a datum of WGS84...

Thanks for the quick reply. I see in MapSource where the datum is WGS84, but how do I check that on my GPSr?

I just found it. It was wrong. It was set to NAD27 Mexico. Thanks everyone!!!