newbie info Garmin 60 Csx

david_smiht

Hi

I am new to all this.

I read that the Garmin 60 Csx is the best.

I would hope to use is for hiking, geocashing and in the car for street navigation.

I know it does not have sound but I looking for a system that does both.

Please advise what accessories I should buy to be able to geocahe/hike and find addressees in Canadian/US cities.

Thanks in advance

Depends who you are...but I have heard that too!

I would hope to use is for hiking, geocashing and in the car for street navigation.

The 60csx is great for all of that!

Umm...someone please chime in (no pun intended) but I think that the 60csx does have sound.

Please advise what accessories I should buy to be able to geocahe/hike and find addressees in Canadian/US cities.

Geocaching and hiking is built into the 60csx....as far as getting the maps for Canadian/US cities, I think you will need a MapSource software. I say that with an "I think"

Good luck with GPS shopping. I will be honest with you and say that I am in the same boat, and I have been looking at the 60csx for myself as well.

The 60csx does chime, not loud and not sure if there is a volume control. As far as maps, it has a base map with some highways and parks. You will want to get the topo for geocaching and the street maps for just that. The unit becomes pricey with all the cd's but there isnt much that this thing cant do.

Hi

I am new to all this.

Thanks in advance

For hiking and geocaching you don't need anything but some batteries. The topo maps are nice when you are trying to figure your approach to the cache but aren't required. (I've used it occasionally to navigate steep inclines and find out what side of the river the cache is on before getting stuck on the wrong side.)

The base map is useless for driving and only beeps for prompts, no voice. That being said, buying City Navigator v8, a good mount for the vehicle, and a power cord makes this a very useful vehicle GPS. I use it all the time to look up street addresses with very good results and it covers Canada and the US for about $100.

FWIW, If you are navigating to a given set of addresses you can load a nearly unlimited number of addresses w/ descriptions into your GPS as POI lists. You can also load large lists of Geocaches as POI's as well if your potential caching areas are widespread and random.

I just got my City Navigator v8. What a plus to an already great unit. The driving direstions are good with turn alerts and such. I just traveled 200 miles and intentionally took known shortcuts off of the "suggested" path on my GPSr. It recalculated within seconds of realizing I was off of the route and set a new route. Pretty cool. I am downloading the rest of the country maps to it now as I have a 2 gig card, more than enough room. The only way I can get lost now is if I run out of batteries and loose my power cord.