How Long before moving a TB?

nelageleets

A little protocal here. How long should a bug be held before it moves on to another cache? I personally don't hold a bug for over a week; but I have some that have been out a month and the person that retrieved them still have them in their posessions. Do I email them and ask them when they are going to move them on or do I just grin and bear it? guidance please. B)B)

GC.com prompts the user to notify the TB owner after 14 days of inactivity. On the my account page it gives the following message:

"* No activity in the last 14 days - Please drop off this travel bug in a new cache or contact the owner as a courtesy. If the Travel Bug has been lost, the owner can change the bug's status to an unknown location."

I know this because I have had a bug for 4 weeks now (due to unforseen circumstances). I emailed the owner explaining and will drop off asap.

If it was my bug and I hadn't heard after two weeks I would drop a short note to check on well being.

You shouldn't hold a bug longer than two weeks, but sometimes life gets in the way of caching and a cacher holding a bug for a month does happen from time to time. I wouldn’t be concerned.

(Besides if you are going to be emailing people for hold a bug for two weeks you're probably going to be sending out a lot of emails.)

Personally I don’t even consider contacting someone until a full three months have passed and then I simply ask them for status.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Two weeks to three months, Those out a month I'll check on. After three months I'd consider the cacher either dead or bug lost by then. :mad:

Since you asked I thought I would provide you a realistic timeline. Bugs don't get moved around all that fast.

Should your bug go missing from a cache, re-releasing a copy after only three months is far far too early. So unless you know your bug has been destroyed (Like a cache lost from a grass fire) you shouldn’t replace an MIA bug for about a year.

You are certainly free to contact cachers who have held your bug for more than 14 days but personally I don’t want the extra worry and effort just so I can enjoy my bugs. If a cacher can’t get around to dropping my bugs after three months that’s when I need to get involved. In my (not so) humble opinion. :D

Edited by BlueDeuce

I normally don't like to hold bugs for more than a week or two, but if I know I'll be travelling soon I'll hold them longer because I figure it's more fun if they wait a while and travel some distance than if they just keep getting passed around the same local area. I currently have several bugs I've been holding onto for about a month, and I'll be travelling for the next two weeks, dropping them as I go.

I checked the profile of the person holding the bug, and I wouldn't worry about it, they cache enough, they have moved enough bugs. If they haven't gone caching recently there is probably a good reason. You could send an email say something like "Thank you for picking up my (insert TB name here) TB, I look forward to seeing where it heads next." A gentle reminder, because sometimes, not always, but sometimes, they fall to the bottom of the backpack, and people need a small nudge.