Which PDA - HP Jornada 540 Series?

Do you intend to use it to connect to a GPS and use the Jornada for the cache hunt or do you intend to use a separate GPS and use the Jornada only for providing cache pages?

If I'm not mistaken, the Jornada has the Pocket PC 2000 operating system and if I'm not further mistaken, two of the more popular cache database programs -- GPX Sonar and Cachemate -- require at least the Pocket PC 2003 operating system. You cannot upgrade the Jornada's operating system. So, I suggest comparing the OS on the Jornada to the minimum requirements of any software you are considering. Another popular software choice is Beeline, and I have no idea what operating systems it supports.

One of my older Pocket PCs runs the 2000 operating system and it does recognize and accept input from a compact flash receiver, and it also runs my mapping software (Mapopolis) just as well as my newer Pocket PC. So, if you intend to use it as a do-it-all with GPS connected, you'd probably be okay as long as the mapping or other software was compatable with the operating system.

If you already have a GPS and you want the PDA only for providing cache pages and hints, I'd suggest picking up a cheap Palm. There are lots of threads here talking about what/where to buy those. If you want to connect a GPS to the PDA, the Jornada might not be a bad choice, but you have to make sure it isn't too dated for the programs you want to run. If you're thinking you want to use the PDA for more than cache pages, I'd suggest a Pocket PC with at least the 2003 operating system or a newer Palm.

And then, this is my personal opinion solely, if you intend to get very far into the woods, you will probably be wanting to consider a stand-alone GPS rather than a Pocket PC due to ruggedness, battery life, etc. That has been my experience, and I know others differ in opinion.

With regard to eyesight, the Lowrance iFinders, Garmin GPSMaps, and Magellan XL all have displays that are comparable in size to that on a Pocket PC.

Edited by Steel City Seekers

Do you intend to use it to connect to a GPS and use the Jornada for the cache hunt or do you intend to use a separate GPS and use the Jornada only for providing cache pages?

..snip..

If you already have a GPS and you want the PDA only for providing cache pages and hints, I'd suggest picking up a cheap Palm.

Thanks for that - I only want it for "paperless caching". I already have a Magellan Explorist 500, decided against the XL because I like to be able to carry it in a shirt pocket when I'm not actually looking at it, and the XL is just too chunky.

I'll have a look around for a Palm.

Keith

I've been using a Palm M500 for more than two years. You should be able to get one of those on eBay for $30.00, including the shipping.

Get Cachemate for $8.00, an inexpensive hard case, and a memory card if you want to hold LOTS of cache information, and you will be set. :laughing: