eXplorist 210 loading gpx files via geocache manager to unit

seanpk

So I'm a premium member and I create a pocket query that returns 200 caches that I haven't found nearest to my house. I have the results created in the gpx format.

I open GeoCache Manager and load the gpx file. I scroll through the list and see the 200 caches. I then transfer the caches to my eXplorist 210.

My issue is that all 200 caches don't transfer to the unit. I checked the units memory and there is plenty available. Of the 200, about 20-30 won't transfer.

Any thoughts on why the complete list doesn't transfer from Geocache Manager to the unit?

seanpk

The Explorist has a limit of 200 POIs per geocache POI file, which you are apparently trying to respect. My guess is that you have some child waypoints included (e.g., parking suggestions) and they are biting into your limit. The Explorist will happily accept all the POIs you send it without complaining, but it will only remember 200 of them.

Try cutting your number down to 160 or 170 and see if you get everything transferred. I use GSAK to break my queries down into smaller files sorted by geographical locations. That way, if I head off to North of my home (for example) I can activate a file focusing on that area.

I have a 210 also and ran into this problem too. Unfortunately, I didn't catch it until I was out in the field. Luckily, I was with some other cachers, so they had the ones I was missing.

As stated above there is a limit of 200, although I can find no mention of this in the user's manual or at Magellans site. (According the manual and site, it can hold as many POIs as there is memory.)

How I worked around this, and it's not that great of a solution is to create multiple folders like was mentioned above. That being said though, if I'm out of my home area (and away from those 200 caches near home), you have to go into preferences and change your default list.

You can access the other locations by accessing their folder, but those caches will not show up around you (how they look like little treasure chests). They will show up if you've changed the default list. This is useful if you're going out-of-town and want to cache there. Load up those pocket queries in a folder with that city's name. Then, change the default list to be the list named that city and then they'll show up like you're accustomed.

I hope I've explained this well enough. It's one of those things that I could show you easier! LOL

I have a 210 also and ran into this problem too. Unfortunately, I didn't catch it until I was out in the field. Luckily, I was with some other cachers, so they had the ones I was missing.

As stated above there is a limit of 200, although I can find no mention of this in the user's manual or at Magellans site. (According the manual and site, it can hold as many POIs as there is memory.)

How I worked around this, and it's not that great of a solution is to create multiple folders like was mentioned above. That being said though, if I'm out of my home area (and away from those 200 caches near home), you have to go into preferences and change your default list.

You can access the other locations by accessing their folder, but those caches will not show up around you (how they look like little treasure chests). They will show up if you've changed the default list. This is useful if you're going out-of-town and want to cache there. Load up those pocket queries in a folder with that city's name. Then, change the default list to be the list named that city and then they'll show up like you're accustomed.

I hope I've explained this well enough. It's one of those things that I could show you easier! LOL

So I get the 200 limit. So what I did was I created a pocket query with 150 caches. I then loaded the 210 with the 150 caches. I then compared the pocket query results with what was on my GPS. Again, I can see that certain caches in the pocket query don't go over to the unit. What I would like to do, if someone is willing, is send someone my pocket query results, have them load the file on their 210, and see if they get all the caches from the pocket query. I would want whoever to load the file to their 210 via Magellan Geocache Manager.

If you see specific caches that are not transfering, it might be interesting to know which caches those were. If you run the query another day and transfer, would those same, or different, cache be excluded the next time? If the same, maybe we can find a reason for it.

As far as I know, the transfer to your 210 works the same as my 600. I use queries of 200 caches and the geocache manager to transfer them. I have never noticed a cache missing. I also do not include additional waypoints in my transfer. I just use the main .gpx file, not the second one. Since you cut it down to 150 caches, this probably wouldn't be the problem.

Another idea is that if any caches have the same name that may be an issue. Not likely, but I thought I'd throw it out there, as I've heard problems like that before. (I don't know that it was with geocache manager, though.)