Vista Cx & Mapsource questions

I've had the Vista Cx for two days and have found 4 caches - the unit (my first ever) works as advertised - I'm pleased. But I have a question about it appearing in my file manager (XP Home SP2) - it does NOT appear as a drive, though it does appear in the device manager and I am able to transfer info back and forth between the unit and PC using MapSource.

If I go to Setup>Interface>USB Mass Storage, then I can see the Micro SD card and move files to it - the problem being...they do not seem to be recognized by the GPSr. I've tried .loc, .gbd and .gpx files and cannot find them on any menu in the unit.

Any ideas?

Now the MapSource software - I always check for updates first thing - I get a fatal error that closes the update, it looks like it's trying to open a DOS box for file transfer, unsuccessfully (NTVDM illegal instruction). I figure it does need updating because A. it will not let me set symbols for waypoints and B. when making a route it adds extra numbers to highway numbers (i.e. Highway 36 becomes Highway 361, Highway 362, Highway 363). Now if these numbers were Highway 36-1, Highway 36-2, Highway 36-3 and marked waypoints for turns in the road in sequence, I could see the point, but they don't and they aren't. The extra numbers are added to original highway number with no space or dash and appear out of numerical sequence. The added numbers also skip.

The extra numbers appear in Mapsource and also when transfered to my Vista.

I have the Garmin WebUpdater and my Vista's software is up to date, so...any ideas? I've looked for somewhere to DL the newest copy of MapSource, with no success.

For the moment I am loading geocache waypoints through MapSource and then changing the icon in the Vista, a bit of a pain. It would also be nice to upload .gpx files to my unit and have them work...

Again, any ideas?

Any help appreciated,

steve_is

Your Vista will NOT read GPX or LOC files directly! Access to the card is usefull for placing POI files and maps, that are prepared for the Garmin only, or for storing extra info that can NOT be accessed on the Vista.

You can download the mapsource update directly from garmin.com. The mis-naming waypoints are somthing I have not experienced.

I will try and find you a link to the latest version, and post it.

Thanks Mach!

Your Vista will NOT read GPX or LOC files directly! Access to the card is usefull for placing POI files and maps, that are prepared for the Garmin only, or for storing extra info that can NOT be accessed on the Vista.

I figured out the .loc/.gpx thing last night, but the link in your second post is a great help.

You can download the mapsource update directly from garmin.com. The mis-naming waypoints are somthing I have not experienced.

Thanks again,

steve_is