Mileage TB or coin

Dryphter

Hi all,

I am relatively new so still figuring a few things out. I have found several cache log posts that people say something like 'temporary drop of xxxxxx's odo TB' where the xxxx's are the persons name. Now I assume this person has a TB that is registered in the system that they 'drop' (most likely just virutally drop it) in each cache they visit. Does this somehow record miles traveled? or is it just something to do with no real purpose?

Personal travelers are a common thing. Some people log them through every visited cache, some through just one in an area or found that day.

They do track mileage, cache to cache and yes it's for no real purpose. :D

:typo

Edited by BlueDeuce

Does this somehow record miles traveled? or is it just something to do with no real purpose?

No real purpose. The Personal Milage TBs are logged into and out of each cache that the owner visits, and it tracks milage traveled by the cacher.

However, it doesn't really do this for several reasons:

1) To get from one cache to another that is 5.2 miles apart, I might actually drive and walk a total of 9.6 miles. The TB will only recort the 5.2 miles.

2) I might fly to Miami on business and grab a cache or two while there. The 800 miles I flew will be recorded on my TB even though it wasn't traveled for caching, it was traveled for business.

3) If you log your TB into a travelling cache, armchair cache, etc. (I don't), those can falsify your false milage numbers further.

4) Some cache types don't allow TB drops (Webcam for instance) so those aren't included in your false milage numbers.

Even though I know the number is meaningless (sort of like total cache finds) I still enjoy my Personal Milage TB.

So how do you log it with a cache, but not leave a log entry showing there is a TB at that cache? IE record the mileage, but not have the cache show that there is a TB present?

Wellllll, it just so happens that I am in the process of doing this with a recently aquired GeoCoin . . . through 158 finds. I sure hope I get caught up soon!

When you write your 'Found It' log, at the bottom is the window that gives you the opportunity to drop any type of TB's you might be carrying. Drop the TB/Coin in question in the cache. Go back to the cache listing after you're done and near the top right will be a list of Trackables in that cache. Click on your TB/Coin, in the new window 'Log' it as retrieving from the cache and it's back on your virtual/real person.

If you're doing this after the fact, as I am, instead of a 'Found It' log, do a 'Write a note' log and follow the same procedure. Someone had told me I could delete my 'Write a note' log after I ran my geocoin through, but I seemed to be deleting all record of that coin and that cache when I did so.

Pointless, maybe, but I have accumulated over 6,000 Frequent Flyer Miles on my geocoin and hope to get enough for round trip airfare real soon . . . :D

JohnTee

158 Caches to virtually dip, 158 caches to dip,

Write a note, retrieve it again

157 Caches to virturally dip . . .

Edited by JohnTee

So how do you log it with a cache, but not leave a log entry showing there is a TB at that cache? IE record the mileage, but not have the cache show that there is a TB present?

As JohnTee said you just do the drop when you post your log and then immediately retrieve it back out.