etrex yellow question

chirprc

How do I find out if this unit is WAAS enabled? Is there somewhere in it that tells me or do I just try to pick up satellites 47 and 35 (or whatever they are)? I am going to sell it and I know someone will ask me. It has version 2.14 on it. Can that be upgraded on the garmin site to the 3.5, or it that upgrade only for units that have 3.0 and higher?

When Garmin upgraded ol' Yeller to WAAS, they didn't change the name. They just changed the hardware to read WAAS stuck in Firmware 3.0. If your unit has firmware 2.xx, it isn't WAAS enabled, and changing firmware won't change that. You need to stay with firmware 2.xx. If the unit is 3.xx, it is WAAS enabled and can update to 3.5.

I bought my first GPSr at the end of last year, and decided on the basic yellow etrex. Before I purchased it, I asked garmin what were the differences between the 2.xx and the 3.xx versions. A lot of sellers on the net are still selling the 2.14 version. Their response shows many changes (WASS being the most important)

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe Support.

Software version 3.00 and above requires a new circuit board. Units with old boards will not be able to run version 3.00 or higher. Similarly, units with software version 3.00 or higher, will not support older software versions.

* WAAS

* 10,000 active track log

* 10 saved tracks

* 20 routes, 125 points per route

* 500 waypoints

* Hunt/Fish Calculator

* Sun/Moon rise/set times

* Trip Computer Page, capable of displaying dual position formats (31 data choices)

* 14 text languages

* Geocache waypoint symbols

The eairlier version(anything below version 3) only supports 1 route /50 waypoints and non of the above features except 500 waypoints.

If you have any further queries please don't hesitate to contact us again.

I hope this will help the OP question and anyone planning on getting the basic Etrex.

Tarot