Help with Garmin POI loader and xImage

Two questions for the collective wisdom here.

1. I'm trying to upload benchmarks as custom POIs to my garmin Legend Cx. I've got them on board now, but their names and info aren't showing up. I created a .gpx file of my benchmark waypoint collection in Mapsource if that makes a difference. What am I doing wrong?

2. Then I tried uploading some custom waypoint images using xImage. Followed the directions carefully, read the previous threads about this, and read the tutorial linked in one of those threads. I keep getting an "Image is incompatible" error, even for the icons I grabbed off that page (I'm assuming those are of the proper color depth, etc.). At least one of those bitmaps works on my unit though, as I was able to attach it to my nameless custom POIs. Again, what did I do wrong?

Like I mentioned, I've read all the previous threads I could find about this, and no luck. Thanks.

1. I'm trying to upload benchmarks as custom POIs to my garmin Legend Cx. I've got them on board now, but their names and info aren't showing up. I created a .gpx file of my benchmark waypoint collection in Mapsource if that makes a difference. What am I doing wrong?

Depends on what you mean by "aren't showing up".

If "aren't showing up" = "not displaying on my map", this may be because the default display of cPOI is pretty close. Gotta really zoom in before they show up.

if "aren't showing up" = "not listed when I try to Find", make sure sure you are searching for cPOI and not waypoints.

Ximage is used for uploading custom icons for WAYPOINTS.

Custom icons for custom POIs must be stored in the custom POI directory when uploaded and use the same name as the custom POI files.

Are you using a non-default color scheme? Around half of the color scheme prevent the custom POIs from working.

Depends on what you mean by "aren't showing up".

If "aren't showing up" = "not displaying on my map", this may be because the default display of cPOI is pretty close. Gotta really zoom in before they show up.

if "aren't showing up" = "not listed when I try to Find", make sure sure you are searching for cPOI and not waypoints.

The point is displayed on the map, but no name. Moving the arrow cursor over the POI makes it think for a second (little hourglass appears), but nothing else happens. Clicking on the POI does nothing. This is regardless of zoom level, but at the same zoom level, other nearby stock POIs have names. Really, all I want is the name of the benchmark displayed. Details such as phone number etc. are not needed.

Ximage is used for uploading custom icons for WAYPOINTS.

Custom icons for custom POIs must be stored in the custom POI directory when uploaded and use the same name as the custom POI files.

Are you using a non-default color scheme? Around half of the color scheme prevent the custom POIs from working.

Yes, I understand that Ximage is for waypoint icons. These are two seperate problems, with Ximage AND POI Loader.

I was able to get the custom POIs to show up with the little custom benchmark by renaming it "benchmark.bmp" to go with the "benchmark.gpx" file and putting it in the custom POI directory.

It could be a color issue, but I don't think so. As I stated above, it shows up as a custom POI symbol, but ximage won't let me upload it as a custom waypoint symbol. Unless POI symbols and waypoint symbols use two different color schemes...

The custom waypoint symbols I'm using were downloaded directly off the page that explains how to do this for the 60csx. Does the 60csx use a different color palette?

Are you using the newest version of POI loader? Does the GPSr have the newest firmware? When you open the GPX file, do they show text in the name and comment fields? When you open a POI from the find menu, does it show any name or comment?

If you are meaning that it does not show a name on the map ONLY (and is not clickable), that is normal and a bug in the current etrex firmware. The latest 60/76 firmware fixed the problem, but the etrex firmware has not been updated yet.

Are you using the newest version of POI loader? Does the GPSr have the newest firmware? When you open the GPX file, do they show text in the name and comment fields? When you open a POI from the find menu, does it show any name or comment?

If you are meaning that it does not show a name on the map ONLY (and is not clickable), that is normal and a bug in the current etrex firmware. The latest 60/76 firmware fixed the problem, but the etrex firmware has not been updated yet.

Yes to all of the above.

It's the bug. I can get the name and info by searching, but it doesn't display on the screen (which kind of defeats the purpose). Thanks for that info. I was starting to tear out what hair is left trying to figure out what I did wrong.

And that website you listed in the next post is the page I got the icons from. In the zip file, there is a folder called Vista Series. I assumed that those were of the proper color depth...