Need a new GPS unit with topo maps

Bud/Liz

Looking to buy a new GPS unit that I can dowload maps from topo usa. What models do that? I want to be able to download the trails and streams and eleavation into the GPS. My current 2 models won't do it.

I also want to be able to download an entire route from topo usa to gps and also from gps to computer. Not looking to download waypoints but I actually want to download the track history into my computer so it will highlight the route on my topo program (make sense?).

Need help fast as I have a trip planned next weekend and need to order it right away.

Where do you recommend getting it on the net or in Las Vegas?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Are you referring to DeLorme Topo USA? If so, the only GPS that will display them is the DeLorme PN-20.

It's a new release and has a few rough edges, but I'm expecting/hoping a firmware upgrade that should be available next month will smooth a lot of those out. The package includes TopoUSA 6; if you already have that you might still be able to get $60 off the advertised price (it was not specified how long that offer would hold).

Edited by embra

OK, if you mean MapSend Topo USA (no wonder we're confused) then that will work on any Meridian or SporTrak. However, with the release of the Explorists, Topo USA started to fade into the past. A new Magellan Explorist handheld will require MapSend Topo3D.

If you want to stick with your existing software, you're essentially limited to the technology you have in hand. If you have to buy new software, you will be putting out more money but you are freed up to consider any brand you want. What do you have in mind?

OK, if you mean MapSend Topo USA (no wonder we're confused) then that will work on any Meridian or SporTrak. However, with the release of the Explorists, Topo USA started to fade into the past. A new Magellan Explorist handheld will require MapSend Topo3D.

If you want to stick with your existing software, you're essentially limited to the technology you have in hand. If you have to buy new software, you will be putting out more money but you are freed up to consider any brand you want. What do you have in mind?

I did mean in the first post that I have delorme topo but Now I guess I am asking 2 things just to clarify?

1. Will the new Magellan Mapsend Topo 3d work on my meridian color?

2. Is the mapsend topo 3d as good as the delorme topo?

Thanks for all your help

1. Will the new Magellan Mapsend Topo 3d work on my meridian color?

2. Is the mapsend topo 3d as good as the delorme topo?

1. Yes

2. No. You can go to the Magellan site, find the T3d product page, and use a viewer provided to see the detail level on T3D. I agree with Ben that it pales in comparison to the DeLorme offering.