MapSource City Select North America v7 or NT?

Well this forum has just about convinced me to buy the Garmin 76 cx or csx. Now a question on software. Forgive me if this has been covered already, but searches have left me still confused. Now the question, according to Garmins site if MapSource City Select North America v7 is purchased you have to unlock it. Is there a charge for unlocking? They seem to indicate that you can only unlock certain parts is this true? NT seems to be just put in DVD player and away you go. Is the major difference that one CS installs on your computor, and two NT you have to play every time you want to create new maps.

Sorry if this is a basic question.

Thanks,

Tom

Well this forum has just about convinced me to buy the Garmin 76 cx or csx. Now a question on software. Forgive me if this has been covered already, but searches have left me still confused. Now the question, according to Garmins site if MapSource City Select North America v7 is purchased you have to unlock it. Is there a charge for unlocking? They seem to indicate that you can only unlock certain parts is this true? NT seems to be just put in DVD player and away you go. Is the major difference that one CS installs on your computor, and two NT you have to play every time you want to create new maps.

Sorry if this is a basic question.

Thanks,

Tom

City Select has been discontinued. If you find it, you will be eligible for a free upgrade to City Navigator V8. If you purchase it, you do have to unlock it, but you do not have to pay to unlock it. You are allowed to install the software on as many computers as you own, but you are only allowed to unlock it to 2 GPSrs. Older Garmin software was unlocked by region, but the current version are single region--that is one unlock allows you to use the entire mapping program. The diference between regular and NT is that NT is compressed differently and can oly be used by certain units (including the 76Cx and 76CSx that you are interested in).

Hope that answers your questions!

Thanks CenTexDodgerm, that what I was wanting to know. I wasn't aware of the free upgrade though. Is it listed on Garmins site? Was on it yesterday checking out the available software and did not notice the upgrade.

Thanks again,

Tom

Go here. That little box in the middle refers to the free update. What is not clear is that there is an upgrade path from City Select to City Navigator. When you install CS, and get an unlock, you can request a free upgrade CD to City Nav V8, Garmin Looks at the unlock date to determine whether or not you get a free upgrade.