POCKET PC AND BLUETOOH RECEIVERS

Hi Again

Heres the answer i got from pocket solutions

Hello Alain,

the soft membrane is removable, however we do not sell replacements, and I am not sure Otterbox does either, You can check with www.otterbox.com. We do not have a mount for this case.

Thanks for your continuing support!

-Anna

Anna Cederman

Customer Support Manager

Pocket Solutions, Inc.

www.PocketSolutions.com

and the link to some other interesting cases for pda,gps, laptops etc. Hope this helps a few

http://www.otterbox.com/

Alain :laughing:

I checked with Otterbox and found that they *do* sell replacement screens in a three pack along with several of the seals for the box, all for $13, IIRC. The basic unit does not come with any extra screens. Pocket Solutions seems to be selling the Otterbox products at the same price. I'm not sure why I would buy from them rather than from Otterbox directly. But I have time to ruminate on this since my units won't be here until next week.

Thanks for all the info!

Hi

Yes i saw that only after i posted i figured you would check the otterbox site

Glad if it helped , and by the way i saw that there are to models available for your unit , the other one is more expensive but lokks interesting !

Alain

Hi

Glad if it helped , and by the way i saw that there are to models available for your unit , the other one is more expensive but lokks interesting !

Alain

Actually, I have spent nearly $200 on this setup so far and I think I am going to wait to get a case. I may try to homebrew something using foam and a ziplock bag or maybe a lock&lock container. Basically the case they are selling is a watertight case with a screen saver in front of the touch screen. I should be able to make that for the short term.

I got my Bluetooth receiver today along with the various dongles I bought to test it on the PC with. It seems to work, but I can't give it much of a test. If I take it outside at all, the bluetooth just does not seem to maintain a connection with my desktop. So I can't even get a signal from out side of the normal wandering of the coordinates. So I will have to wait until next week when I get the Zire 72 before I can really test this setup. I still don't really know what I will use for software. Possibly Mapopolis if the info I found is accurate.

I have the same problem with the cachenav plugin for cachemate. The compass moves around way too much.

I've been on the smittyware boards and it has been suggested that some type of averaging algorithm be implemented to it keeps steady. As of yet, that hasn't happened.

I did like the visual map on beelinegps. But overall, I just preferred cachemate.

I tried geoscout last night and it kept crashing my Treo. It didn't last very long.

I do have the google maps on the Treo. It is a life saver. I don't use it often, since most of the places I cache are 1x, not EVDO. But I have been in a jam a couple of times where neither TomTom nor Mapsend (on the eXplorist) had an address I was trying to get to. Fired up google maps and got a cross street and was able to input into TomTom and get to my destination.

Hi

Alain

Actually, I have spent nearly $200 on this setup so far and I think I am going to wait to get a case. I may try to homebrew something using foam and a ziplock bag or maybe a lock&lock container. Basically the case they are selling is a watertight case with a screen saver in front of the touch screen. I should be able to make that for the short term.

I got my Bluetooth receiver today along with the various dongles I bought to test it on the PC with. It seems to work, but I can't give it much of a test. If I take it outside at all, the bluetooth just does not seem to maintain a connection with my desktop. So I can't even get a signal from out side of the normal wandering of the coordinates. So I will have to wait until next week when I get the Zire 72 before I can really test this setup. I still don't really know what I will use for software. Possibly Mapopolis if the info I found is accurate.

Hi

I guess you could try that, the case is actually similuar to a locknlook , also if you saw on the pocketsolutions site theres a silicon bag they sell , i got 2 like that last year at walmart for camping and its the same company! You could try to find one at walmart i paid something like 4 bucks on sale, i bought that to protect our cell phones etc. for the beach and its perfectly water tight.

Alain

I have the same problem with the cachenav plugin for cachemate. The compass moves around way too much.

I've been on the smittyware boards and it has been suggested that some type of averaging algorithm be implemented to it keeps steady. As of yet, that hasn't happened.

I did like the visual map on beelinegps. But overall, I just preferred cachemate.

I tried geoscout last night and it kept crashing my Treo. It didn't last very long.

I do have the google maps on the Treo. It is a life saver. I don't use it often, since most of the places I cache are 1x, not EVDO. But I have been in a jam a couple of times where neither TomTom nor Mapsend (on the eXplorist) had an address I was trying to get to. Fired up google maps and got a cross street and was able to input into TomTom and get to my destination.

HI

For anyone that wishes to use geoscout , you must have microsoft net compact framework 2.0 , this is a free upgrade, not having this will crash the program, also for the bt users in most cases you do not check the use bluetooth check box. And No i don't have any interests in geoscout , except using it for geocaching !

Alain

In fact I have both Microsoft .NET Compact Framework AND Microsoft .NET CF 2.0 installed.

Hi

Well i am at a lost on that one then, win 2003 or wm5 ? and are you installing to memory card ? thats what i did to both of my ppc's and how much ram do you have? are you getting an error message or just crashing ? I know some of the older versions had bugs, the new version is 1.3.0 and is not on the other sites yet, could be the problem

Alain

Geoscout is installed to SD card. I had about 7MB of memory left before opening Geoscout. This time around that is due to having the screenshot program running. Previously I had 11MB memory prior to running Geoscout.

I opened Geoscout and took a screenshot of the version.

AboutScreen.jpg

Everything worked fine as I configured the gps and got it working.

GPSScreen.jpg

I managed to load a gpx file and open a cache listing.

Compass.jpg

Then everything froze up.

I reset the Treo and was greeted by this nice IOException error when I opened geoscout back up.

IOExceptionError.jpg

No problem. I closed geoscout and reopened. After configuring the program again, I went back into the cache listing. It displayed for a while and crashed again.

Then I got the IOException error again.

Not that I don't like this program. It looks VERY promising. It's just not quite ready for the Treo700w anyway. I may try it again if they tweak some stuff.

DotNETCF2.jpg

Now I did change one thing. I unchecked the option to load map tiles. That caused the program to crash immediately everytime I attempted to import a gpx file. I don't really need that part of the program and that problem is probably a memory issue.

The other thing that I guess could be an issue is the fact that I was reluctant to put in my GC username and password. I am comfortable just importing gpx files I get from my PQ's via Pocket Outlook. Call me paranoid, but I just don't feel right trialing the program with my info.

I don't see why that would cause the program to crash though.

The Treo700w does use 240x240 resolution, which cause many existing programs to crash when the 700w was first introduced. However, most vendors have updated their software to fix that problem. That seems to be the case here, as geoscout fits fine on the screen.

So I am at a loss as to what the problem is.

Edited by GeoBain

Geoscout is installed to SD card. I had about 7MB of memory left before opening Geoscout. This time around that is due to having the screenshot program running. Previously I had 11MB memory prior to running Geoscout.

I opened Geoscout and took a screenshot of the version.

AboutScreen.jpg

Everything worked fine as I configured the gps and got it working.

GPSScreen.jpg

I managed to load a gpx file and open a cache listing.

Compass.jpg

Then everything froze up.

I reset the Treo and was greeted by this nice IOException error when I opened geoscout back up.

IOExceptionError.jpg

No problem. I closed geoscout and reopened. After configuring the program again, I went back into the cache listing. It displayed for a while and crashed again.

Then I got the IOException error again.

Not that I don't like this program. It looks VERY promising. It's just not quite ready for the Treo700w anyway. I may try it again if they tweak some stuff.

DotNETCF2.jpg

Now I did change one thing. I unchecked the option to load map tiles. That caused the program to crash immediately everytime I attempted to import a gpx file. I don't really need that part of the program and that problem is probably a memory issue.

The other thing that I guess could be an issue is the fact that I was reluctant to put in my GC username and password. I am comfortable just importing gpx files I get from my PQ's via Pocket Outlook. Call me paranoid, but I just don't feel right trialing the program with my info.

I don't see why that would cause the program to crash though.

The Treo700w does use 240x240 resolution, which cause many existing programs to crash when the 700w was first introduced. However, most vendors have updated their software to fix that problem. That seems to be the case here, as geoscout fits fine on the screen.

So I am at a loss as to what the problem is.

Hello Geobain

Sorry i did not respond right away, had to pick up my mother at the airport , just back from a 5 week trip visiting south korea and china .

I saw your screen shots and not sure why that is happening , but just before repling to this , i have written a short email to the maker of geoscout inviting him to take a look into this , i have had a few issues in the begining with the program but they were all related to faults in my hp ppc ! issues that the owner helped me resolve , even though they were not issues that were caused by the program .

Hopefully he will look in to this soon , so you can test drive the program properly, the biggest asset of geoscout is the simplicity to the user , even my 6 year old is using it, lots of good programs out there but none are simple or they are not complete , this is why i chose this program after having tried and i own many of the 5 star rated programs

Alain