Topo 3d useless in coastal regions?

Acts7

Okay so I paid the 9.99 for the MapSend Topo3d with my 500 LE which finally arrived today THANK YOU - yes Im stoked too.

Anyway. I dont really see anything different between this (the topo3D) and the DirectRoute NA 2.00f.

I did notice it has topo when in the mountain regions.

But I thought for hiking it would show every patch of empty field and greenery etc. I really doesn't show anything but basic maps and the typical waypoints.

Am I weird to expect it to have had more details?

Cause right now Im honestly feeling like I wasted $9.99

The street data should be virtually identical. The topo contours are the biggest difference, so if you don't have much contour where you are you won't have all that much difference in the display. You should find more streams and rivers shown in T3D, as well as topo-related POIs (e.g., springs, mines). That's about it.

The street data should be virtually identical. The topo contours are the biggest difference, so if you don't have much contour where you are you won't have all that much difference in the display. You should find more streams and rivers shown in T3D, as well as topo-related POIs (e.g., springs, mines). That's about it.

Those contemplating the purchase can preview areas of interest in the Magellan web viewer on their site for most software products. It should give you a pretty good idea what you're jumping into.

If it shows more streams and rivers I don't feel like I wasted 10 bucks then.

Is there a way to "?superimpose?" the Direct Route maps with the topo3d maps?

The Topo maps have the same streets as the Direct Route as mentioned by embra, so there is no need to superimpose, and you cannot do that anyway.

I live in a coastal area and I like the topo map and usually have that one activated in my 500 instead of Direct Route (I have local elevation from 0 to 1500 feet.) With Topo you can do elevation profiles for all saved routes and between two or more waypoints in a route you create, so it lets you plan a route and see the profile before you start. (With Direct route or no map, you can only do elevation profiles for saved and active Tracks since the track points have elevations saved as calculated from satellites.)

For $10, you got a great value and I would only add the Direct Route if you really have a need for routing while driving (I rarely have this need.)

If it shows more streams and rivers I don't feel like I wasted 10 bucks then.

Is there a way to "?superimpose?" the Direct Route maps with the topo3d maps?

There is (or was with the slightly older versions) a way to bring the contour lines *only* into DirectRoute. That would let you autoroute with contours also displayed. But you have noted that the contours are of little value in your area, and unfortunately I'm not aware of any way to bring the streams, etc. into DR.