Portland to Los Angeles

Hello! If you are aware of any SPECTACULAR caches within about 5 miles of the I5 corridor between Portland and Los Angeles, let me know! We're leaving on the 21st of March and just began planning the trip.

I've tried checking out local organizations, but the majority of the trip is in rural areas. Caches along a route is cool, but there are way too many caches to sort through. Thanks in advance!!!

You asked the wrong question. The question that might better have been asked would have been something along the lines of:

"Has anyone ever visited Los Angeles and returned alive?"

I just spent 6 days on a consulting trip in Los Angeles, and I can tell you from first-hand experience that most people from "outside" who visit Los Angeles never return to the outside world again. While the city administration and PR agencies love to claim that this is because "people fall in love with our city and never leave", the reality -- i.e., the truth -- is far darker than that. The dark and dirty secret that the city admins try to deny is that most visitors are killed on the spot, or perhaps tortured for a few days and then killed. Worse, many are kidnapped and forced to do horrible things. I can tell you that in my case, during my most recent visit there last week (I returned home Monday), I barely escaped with my life. I was in constant danger, as my Santa Monica, ahem, "friends" kept kidnapping me and dragging me to trendy raw food cafes in downtown Santa Monica, where I was forced to sit at a window-side table with these "people" and drink raw green juice, durian smoothies and eat raw lasagna and raw pizza for nine hours per day. At one point, on Saturday, March 3rd, we were in our fifth hour of sitting at the table when there was a terrible commotion on the street outside, and, for the next half hour we witnessed the bizarre spectacle of some oddly-dressed people and contraptions running up the road. We were told by other denizens of the evil raw foods cafe that what we were witnessing was the Los Angeles Urban Iditarod. sigh!

Overall, my visit to LA was horrible, and I barely escaped with my life. I did manage to escape the clutches of my kidnappers long enuf to claim a find on the Santa Monica Pier webcam cache (GCQN13), however. I dragged my friend Moti to the Pier and positioned us in front of the webcam and then used my cell fone to call Sue back at home to ask her to take a screen shot of us.

Bottom line: Do NOT go to Los Angeles! You will likely never get back out alive! I firmly believe, after long experience, that it far safer even to vist a wild and untamed land such as West Virginia than it is to visit Los Angeles.

Wow,

I live about 5 minutes drive from downtown Santa Monica, and I've never been to a "raw foods cafe", nor seen the "LA Iditarod"...

It is true though, that I came from afar and never returned...

I came from the Portland area, actually... The other Portland.

The one in Maine that the one in Oregon was named after.

:(

Wow,

I live about 5 minutes drive from downtown Santa Monica, and I've never been to a "raw foods cafe", nor seen the "LA Iditarod"...

It is true though, that I came from afar and never returned...

I came from the Portland area, actually... The other Portland.

The one in Maine that the one in Oregon was named after.

:P

Gosh. I did not mean to blow your mind! And to think, I had tamed down my orignial reply and thus did not even mention the 3 AM walk-arounds through Skid Row, the 3:30 AM excursions to ultra-underground DJ music/dance events held in abandoned industrial lofts in East LA, the 2 AM breakdance festivals, or cruising the hookers on Sunset Boulevard at 3 AM! :P:(:(

I'm not sure that you will find "SPECTACULAR" caches along I-5 - maybe up in the Northern Cal and Oregon area. We came down that road from Central Oregon and joined it South of the state line. We did stop at one cache that we liked more than the others along that way. It is just south of Mount SHasta and parking is just off the exit.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...6a-052b2feca9ff

We had a good time. It is a waterfall that you can walk behind.

There is another cache right by the parking area.

Back on the topic at hand. I'm a little concerned that VST made it out of LA safely. Although I don't live in LA, I'm close enough that I'm on call when "visiting consultants" come to town. Sometimes the LA folks need help, and I'm always up for some fun. :(

Gosh. I did not mean to blow your mind! And to think, I had tamed down my orignial reply and thus did not even mention the 3 AM walk-arounds through Skid Row, the 3:30 AM excursions to ultra-underground DJ music/dance events held in abandoned industrial lofts in East LA, the 2 AM breakdance festivals, or cruising the hookers on Sunset Boulevard at 3 AM! :P:):laughing:

Gosh, I've been missing out. Next time you come to LA, can you show me around? :laughing:

Yeah, all of those things exist. And being a country boy at heart, I've actually considered moving up there to Portland, OR. It's beautiful up there. And I'm sure there are some great caches to be found along the route to get there! :P