pre-planning a hike

LDEB

I am going to the Grand Canyon and am trying to plan a 3 mile hike. Using the topo software, what is the best way to pre-plan the hike and load into my 60csx? For example, if I was to follow the bright angel trail to the rest station, how do I plot the route without a new waypoint being created at every turn. If this is the only way, why can't the title be changed or cleared to avoid so much clutter? I know there is an easier way, thanks for the help.

If the trail is already on the topo map, you can just follow that. I'm not sure about Topo USA, but with Topo Canada, you can autoroute on all of the trails on the unit.

The 100K US TOPO doesn't contain routing, but the Canyon is on the 24K National Parks, which will route along the Bright Angel Trail.

Having been on that trail (sans GPSr) I can safely say that you won't need the GPSr to stay on the trail :) However, I would certainly take it along today; would be great to have the track record of that hike.

The Grand Canyon is magnificent, but it is different from most hiking areas. There are only 2 trails into the canyon from the South Rim and they are shared by hikers and mules. The mules go down the Bright Angel trail which is in the valley created by Garden Creek. After spending a night at the Phantom Ranch across the river at the bottom of the Canyon, the mules and their passengers ascend the South Kaibab trail to the South Rim. Hikers can go part way down either trail as far as they like. A trip to the river and back in one day is nearly impossible. For a day hike, the Kaibab trail has a major advantage. It follows a ridge much of the way, offering spectacular views most of the way down and back. A convenient destination/turn around point is Cedar Ridge, a beautiful spot geologically and vegetatively different from the preceeding portion of the trail. There are also maintained toilets there. If you hike the Bright Angel, your views will be much more limited due to the topography. You cannot get lost on either trail, but there are places along the Kaibab where you could step off a cliff if you are really careless. I hiked in March and ice covered the trail in shady sections near the rim. At Cedar Ridge, the thermometer read 70 degrees.

Take the GPS along. It will show you how far you have to go on the way down if you have the right maps (USA Topo or Natl. Parks West), or how far to go on the way back even if you do not as you will be following your own tracks.

Edited by appletree

I have a similiar problem. I have a GPS 60CSx and Mapsource software with the 24k national parks add-on. I created a few waypoints for the south rim hike, and it followed the trail in the Mapsource software. When I downloaded this to the GPS, It lost the autorouting that the mapsource did, and did straight lights to each of the way points. I would like the route to follow the trail in the GPS as it does in the Mapsource program.

I know trace will do this, but having to trace the whole trail is quite a burden. Is there a way I can convert the autoroute to a trace? Or is there a way for the GPS unit itself to autoroute?

I have a similiar problem. I have a GPS 60CSx and Mapsource software with the 24k national parks add-on. I created a few waypoints for the south rim hike, and it followed the trail in the Mapsource software. When I downloaded this to the GPS, It lost the autorouting that the mapsource did, and did straight lights to each of the way points. I would like the route to follow the trail in the GPS as it does in the Mapsource program.

I know trace will do this, but having to trace the whole trail is quite a burden. Is there a way I can convert the autoroute to a trace? Or is there a way for the GPS unit itself to autoroute?

anyone?

I resent the maps and the route and still it does not follow the trail.

I have been able to route on the bright angel trail with a 60CSx and the 24K maps, so it should work for you also. Two thoughts:

1) Make sure you have any higher priority maps (such as CN) hidden.

2) I've never bothered to download a route, I just create one on the GPSr. That's likely the problem; the 60CSx probably just routes along straight lines between the points in the downloaded route.