Geocaching in Space?

Nate Grumby

Hello!

If all goes well, I might be able to get a geocoin up on a Space Shuttle flight this coming November/December. It would be rather neat if this could somehow be turned into an event of some sort. NASA does provide lat/longs for the shuttle flight and the space station, and the launch of the shuttle is quite visable on the eastern seaboard. Even the re-entry can be seen.

Any ideas?

Some of our local members have floated a few ideas....no, he won't take up mini-jeeps for the racing contest, no, he won't take a picture from space of people assembled at event parties, and no, he won't take up visitors to 'log' the coin. I think he's rather focused on not dropping anything when doing his EVAs.

The last guy who dropped a spatula in orbit returned to his office in Houston to an office filled with over 1000 spatulas hanging from the ceiling.

Anyhow, I don't know if a geocoin or a geoanything has ever made orbit, and since the space shuttle flights are coming to an end here in a few years, I would like to share this opportunity somehow.

Nate Grumby

Hello!

If all goes well, I might be able to get a geocoin up on a Space Shuttle flight this coming November/December. It would be rather neat if this could somehow be turned into an event of some sort. NASA does provide lat/longs for the shuttle flight and the space station, and the launch of the shuttle is quite visable on the eastern seaboard. Even the re-entry can be seen.

Any ideas?

Some of our local members have floated a few ideas....no, he won't take up mini-jeeps for the racing contest, no, he won't take a picture from space of people assembled at event parties, and no, he won't take up visitors to 'log' the coin. I think he's rather focused on not dropping anything when doing his EVAs.

The last guy who dropped a spatula in orbit returned to his office in Houston to an office filled with over 1000 spatulas hanging from the ceiling.

Anyhow, I don't know if a geocoin or a geoanything has ever made orbit, and since the space shuttle flights are coming to an end here in a few years, I would like to share this opportunity somehow.

Nate Grumby

Hi Nate, that sounds like a cool idea to drop a coin in orbit. Maybe they could make a custom coin for the occasion....

There is a Waymarking game that involves the ISS. Some of the folks who play also put out a permanent cache in the spot where they have done their waymark sighting of the ISS.

Perhpas a group of people would create a large swatch of "ground path" caches for that pass?

Perhaps the coin could be logged into and out of each of the caches placed along the ISS ground path?

Perhaps anyone who completes each of the ISS ground path caches could get some kind of "certificate of completion" from you?

Ask Iowa Tom, he may have a more clever idea.

Perhaps people could just go outside and look at the ISS as it passes over and enjoy the most excellent sight!

If all goes well, I might be able to get a geocoin up on a Space Shuttle flight this coming November/December.

What I want to know is, is this a "who you know" thing? How did you arrange this?

I once worked on an event with Don Pettit while he was aboard the ISS. I tried to signal him with a large mirror. I was in Waterloo, IA and he was in orbit. For me it was one of those who you know things.

-it

Edited by Iowa Tom
If all goes well, I might be able to get a geocoin up on a Space Shuttle flight this coming November/December.

What I want to know is, is this a "who you know" thing? How did you arrange this?

I once worked on an event with Don Pettit while he was aboard the ISS. I tried to signal him with a large mirror. I was in Waterloo, IA and he was in orbit. For me it was one of those who you know things.

-it

It helped that I was his best man at his wedding, as he was my best man at mine. Years and years ago, when he started his education, we were RPG gamers (incredible nerds we were, etc.) and I thought I'd have him take up some dice. I didn't start geocaching until last summer. I like this idea better.

Sorry to nix some ideas, but he can't leave anything on the space station, and I doubt he can toss anything out the lock. NASA is still a bit irritated at the Chinese for leaving a mess behind after they blew their satellite, and adding to the orbital mess is frowned upon. They didn't even like the idea of the golf ball stunt someone paid the Russians to do...

I like the idea of plotting the path relative to earth and making it an 'event' cache of some sort. Perhaps I should e-mail the coin ID to anyone who logs a picture of them witnessing the shuttle or space station? Are a few hundred pictures of people pointing at the sky just a little odd?

Sorry to nix some ideas, but he can't leave anything on the space station, and I doubt he can toss anything out the lock. NASA is still a bit irritated at the Chinese for leaving a mess behind after they blew their satellite, and adding to the orbital mess is frowned upon. They didn't even like the idea of the golf ball stunt someone paid the Russians to do...

To be fair, we don't really need help with that, anyway