Magellan Geo Manager

OK I am an idiot. I have been sitting at this computer for 2hrs attempting to figure out how to use the Geocaching Manager program that came with my Explorist 500. I have been attemting to do the loc. down load from the log page, and then add it to the manager. I am doing something wrong, because this is not working properly, so I think.

Can anyone shed some light on how to make this thing work. I have attempted to search the forum for tips, and have not been very successful.

Any help would be great. I would like to set up my new GPS so I can head out in the morning.

Thanks in Advance,

The Miller Family

After you download the .loc file, then go into GeocacheManager and open the file with File/open. The file should be in whatever folder you have designated for your downloads. If you want to add the loc file to an existing list, be sure to check the box in the open file dialog that gives you the option of appending to the existing file.

Once you have a list ready to send over to your GPS, use the Transfer menu choice.

Hello fellow Hoosier. I don't have the exact Magellan model as you, but I am using the Geocache Manager. Hopefully I'm explaining this so you can understand (things are easier to explain verbally!). Here's what I do:

I've made a special folder within "My Documents" called "Geocaching". (Warning: I am a folder-aholic.) When I download the coordinates, I make sure that I'm downloading them to this folder and NOT just "My Documents". When I open the Geocache Manager, I can then more easily locate the downloaded files because I know they're in that "Geocaching" folder.

If you have no coordinates yet in geocache manager, then add the first one. After the first coordinate has been put on the list, click on the folder (open), and select the next coordinate to add. As the above poster mentioned, you need to be SURE to check the box "Append to existing list" at the bottom of the dialog box.

Yes, each addition to the list has to be added one-at-a-time and yes, it is a pain in the rear end. BUT, it's still a lot easier than trying to enter in the coordinates by hand.

Save the list by calling it whatever you want. You can identify it by area or whatever. (If you're a multi-state cacher, you may want to have lists by state. Depending on how much you choose to load into your GPS and depending upon the memory limitations of your GPS, you can decide how best to divvy up the information. I only have one list (but I'm still new and still have plenty to find around my own home).

After I've added all the ones to the list (and deleted any that I've found), I'm ready to transfer and/or update my GPS. On my GPS, I have to attach the transfer cable so that the cable is running DOWN the back of the unit. It fits the other way, but doesn't communicate with my computer. Additionally, the unit must be manually turned on to communicate with the computer.

Again, these instructions are for my specific model but... After the unit is on and communicating with the computer, the GPS unit will want to know what you are doing. It will want to know if you're doing a file transfer or just using the USB for power purposes. Select the option of file transfer. On the Geocache Manager, click on the button that looks like a globe & satellite (send to GPS), and then it will bring up a dialog box to select which list you want to send. Select the list you just created and you should be good to go. Later, when you've updated your list (added more or deleted ones you've found), you can repeat this process and when it asks if you want to replace the list, you can.

Again, I hope this explains it. If not, drop me a line and I'll be happy to help any way that I can.