Using both US Topo & City Navigator?

SimonTuffGuy

Hey guys... New to the forums, new to GPS and geocaching entirely... I've read tons of reviews on various units, I'm an avid off-roader and wanted to get into geocaching and GPS... I went out and purchased a GPSMap 60CSx after reading that it was a very reliable handheld unit and while I was tossing my money away, I also ordered the City Navigator 8.0 and the US Topo series from Garmin.

I got everything loaded to my PC (I had to manually copy the files over from the Topo CD's and then regedit the system values to work correctly without having to use my CD's each time) and I'm starting to get some maps over onto my unit...

I have just one question and that is... I want to load both the city maps and the topo maps for my normal travel area (PA state and several states that surround me)... When I first did the transfer, I did only the City Navigator maps... All went well on my way home, tracking where I was going, etc... Then when I hit home, I transfered similar topo maps over... I lost all of the CityNav maps that were on the unit... Is that how this process works? When I put new maps on, it will clear what was there before?

And at that point... Is it possible for me to transfer both the City Nav AND the Topo maps onto my unit at the same time? I read through the booklet and saw it was possible, but that it would only display the one map vs being able to "easily" switch from 1 to the other... The way I understand it is that I will need to go in and "disable" the City Nav map from my area if I want to see the Topo version... Is there an easier way (either by customizing from my PC to what is transfered to the unit or via the unit) that I can say "Turn on all City Nav", "Turn on all Topo", etc?

I'm sure that as I continue to learn, I'll have more questions... But that's it for right now. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

When you have more than one mapset installed you will have a menu item somewhere that will allow you to enable or disable them. Sorry about not being more specific, but I don't have a 60 to look at, on the eTrex series you go to the map page and click the menu button, then choose map setup.

From the Map Screen, hit menu/setup/(from here if you hit hide CNv8 Topo will be shown). Don't forget to reverse the process when you want to go back to routing. The priorties of the maps are CNv8/Topo/BaseMap so CNv8 will show unless hidden. To have both CBv8 and Topo loaded you MUST load them both at the SAME time via MapSource.

Thanks for the advice... My major concern was... I'm loading all of PA from CN and from Topo... So I'm going through to disable 70+ maps when I want to view 1 feature vs. the other...

I just thought there may be some "shortcut" or feature that I missed (like I said above... maybe a "turn all topo off", etc.)

Thanks for the advice. :rolleyes: