Pocket PC Software

Andy & Chez

I'm going to try and use a pocket pc for caching (running windows 2003), but what software are people using to give the directions to the cache ?

and are there any other applications that i may find useful to put on there

cheers

Andy

I use cachemate and Cetus GPS, not sure CETUS is compatible with PPC, but I believe cacheNav is. Check out http://www.smittyware.com

Cachemate is the database of caches and CetusGPS or cachenav is what can be used to make it groundzero.

What GPS module you thinking of using? Bluetooth?

Savvy?

Edited by fraggle69

My Boyfriend's recently got himself a Pocket PC with GPS. He's using GPXSonar for storing the caches (Premium members get access to the GPX format which has so much more info in than the .loc format!). GPXSonar allows you to make notes on caches as you find them (timestamping the notes etc) but we had a temporary problem where it wouldn't save anything (notes, settings) in Windows Mobile 5. That's sorted in the beta, though.

For actually finding the cache, though, we're still relying on my eTrex Vista. Looking forward to trying some of the suggestions here, though.

We use Memory Map. That gives us an OS map, and on it, the arrow and distance to the cache.

For the cache data, we use Cachemate and GPXSonar

All the above are fed from GSAK, which is kept up using PQs.

The 1:50000 map is sufficient, but the 1:25000 is better, it shows a lot more detail than the 1:50000. OTOH, the 25000 is a lot more expensive.

Since getting the Mio we have been using Cachemate, GSAK and Memory Map. Spiler Sync is also good which bolts into Cachemate. It drags down all the spoiler pics for the files in cachemate onto your PDA just inase you have to cheat! If you do use Memory Map, make sure you use the M-M SiRF setup where you can swap between Pedestrian and car other wise the direction arrow works a bit naff.

I use cachemate and Cetus GPS, not sure CETUS is compatible with PPC, but I believe cacheNav is. Check out http://www.smittyware.com

Cachemate is the database of caches and CetusGPS or cachenav is what can be used to make it groundzero.

What GPS module you thinking of using? Bluetooth?

Savvy?

Its what i currently use in the car with TomTom on, i thought i could utilize it for caching with, i currently connect the Pocket PC via Bluetooth to a Fortuna Slim GPS

PS. cheers for the replies folks, been really usefull so far, i dident realise there was so much software available