GPSr on RV dash

road_rascal

No problem. Get either the Garmin or Gillson antenna with a long cable. Surely some steel up there somewhere on top that it's magnetic base will latch onto. I got my Gillson on Ebay and it is a good one. There is another one sold on Ebay (not Gillson) that is a hunk of junk.

FYI - Our family (6 of us including 4 kids) rented a motor home for two weeks up in the Canadian Rockies about 20 years ago and we still talk about that experience.

I can get a Garmin GA 25MCX antenna for around $25. I think it has about a 9' cable, and I was thinking of just putting on the front of the hood if I absolutely had to. I'll look into the Gilsson antenna. We're going from the Twin Cities MN to Lake Of The Ozarks State Park in MO (taking the lazy way). Since we're baseball nuts we're stopping off at the Field of Dreams in IA and going to 2 Twins games in Kansas City, and of course, hitting some Geocaches on the trip!

Edited by road_rascal

Is the top fiberglass? If so you will have good reception. We drive a Roadtrek Van type RV and it has a fiberglass roof. Reception inside is just as good as outside. But since the external antenna is so cheap they will assure you of good reception. The biggest problem in Geocaching in a RV is turning the Dam things around when you end up on a single lane dirt road that has a chain across it. For urban caching, rest stops most caches are fairly easy to get to. The Roadtrek has everything you would want except room. But just the two of us get along fine. I get about 16 to 17 MPG which is just as good or better than our Land Cruiser. We perfer spending the night in it to going to a motel. Good luck and enjoy your RV-Geocaching.