Coorinate format question.

Brentmeister

Hello:

I am new to GeoCaching, and I need some clarification.

I have a new Magellan Crossover GPS (I gave a small review under the GPS forum):

Anywho- This unit has several different formats for entering coordinates;

DD.DDDDD

DDMM.MMMM

DDMMSS.SS

I've noticed that most geochacing.com cache locations are in the DDMM.MM format. So my question is that sinice my unit has two additional deciaml points what value should I enter? I have been entering '0's in there but didn't know if this was accurate.

Thanks in advance...

Brent

Entering zeros for the extra places is correct. For example if the cache is N40 53.452 W73 25.456, you would enter N40 53.4520 and W73 25.4560 for the DD MM.MMM coordinate format

It's probable that entering nothing instead of zero in the last place has the same effect but you can try that to make sure. The GPS probably assumes zeros for those number places if nothing is entered.

Also know that the three digit decimal .MMM place GPS indicates within 6 feet or 2 meters. The 4th place on your unit .MMMM gets you to within 1/10 of 6 feet or under a foot. However, since the accuracy of the GPS system overall is 10-20 feet under good conditions with the consumer grade equipment we use, the extra place really doesn't give any more accuracy than 3 decimal GPS's. You won't notice a difference even if you enter a wrong number in the 4th decimal place.

Edited by Alan2

Entering zeros for the extra places is correct. For example if the cache is N40 53.452 W73 25.456, you would enter N40 53.4520 and W73 25.4560 for the DD MM.MMM coordinate format

Thanks for the clarification - although I have notived that on some coordinates that I enter that it will break them back out into four decimal places. For instance sometimes I will enter W73 25.4560 and after I enter that coord it will automatically change it to W73 25.4559..../??? It seems like if the unit was going to round the coordinate that it would round it to the zero instead of rounding to some othetr exact coordinate....

Thanks for the clarification - although I have notived that on some coordinates that I enter that it will break them back out into four decimal places. For instance sometimes I will enter W73 25.4560 and after I enter that coord it will automatically change it to W73 25.4559..../??? It seems like if the unit was going to round the coordinate that it would round it to the zero instead of rounding to some othetr exact coordinate....

Are you able to enter something like w73°59.9999 ?

Are you able to enter something like w73°59.9999 ?

Yes - you can enter in that format.