Coordinate Crazy

TheBootyHunter

Good Morning Everyone.

I am a surveyor by trade and am new to the sport of geocaching...but very intrigued. I have tried to get out and locate a couple of local caches but have had no success ...yet. My question is this. I have a survey grade Trimble GEO XH handheld unit which I use for work. I use WGS 84 Lat and Long coordinates to do my work with....but am not sure if I have to convert the coordinates given for the caches before entering them into a file for navigation. When I enter them as given on the website, my receiver tells me that I am 8000 miles away from the cache even though I know full well that it is nearby. What am I doing wrong??????

Is your unit set up to accept the coords in the same format (MinDec) as given on GC.com? Also, does your unit require you to enter western longitude with a negative?

That or possibly you need a zero in the west coordinate? 8000 miles is quite a distance. That sure is an expensive unit to be climbing around the woods with! My Trimbles stay in the office when I cache.

Good Morning Everyone.

I am a surveyor by trade and am new to the sport of geocaching...but very intrigued. I have tried to get out and locate a couple of local caches but have had no success ...yet. My question is this. I have a survey grade Trimble GEO XH handheld unit which I use for work. I use WGS 84 Lat and Long coordinates to do my work with....but am not sure if I have to convert the coordinates given for the caches before entering them into a file for navigation. When I enter them as given on the website, my receiver tells me that I am 8000 miles away from the cache even though I know full well that it is nearby. What am I doing wrong??????

WGS84 is the standard used here I wonder if you have the lats and longs entered in reverse? Also make sure you have it set up correctly for North, West etc.

Ray