Caching procedures

HD'98

I'm a newbie with many ??? When a cache is found how is the owner notified? Is the find verified? What identifing info (Ph #, e-mail address) is put on the log by the owner? I'll bet there is somewhere to find this within the forum but so far its a DNF.

First you need to log on to geocaching.com, get an ID, then you will have to find the cache that you found, can be done by clicking on the hide and seek icon to the left, then type in either the waypoints for that cache or put in the zip code of the area you found the cache in, a list will come up.

You should first look up what other previous cachers have logged in this will give you an idea of what to put in the log. Its not very difficult just takes a while to figure things out.

After you've found the cache, signed the physical logbook, traded trinkets evenly (if you traded), you generally go home and record the find online also. Some people write lots, everything that happen to/from during the cache hunt, some write very little or use acronyms. Look at the others logs for ideas about what to write in your logs :cool:

When you post your online log, the owner of the will be automatically a copy of the log. They receive copies of all the types of logs that can be posted online (find, did not find, note, etc.).

Some cache owners will go check the physical log and compare to the online log to verify those logging online finds have actually been there. However, I think most owners don't audit the two very closely (self included), or only when something strange seems to be happening.

"What identifing info (Ph #, e-mail address) is put on the log by the owner?"

I'm not sure what your asking here. Do you mean 'how do you if you found the right cache?' or 'how would you contact the owner?' or ? :cool:

I'm a newbie with many ??? When a cache is found how is the owner notified? Is the find verified? What identifing info (Ph #, e-mail address) is put on the log by the owner? I'll bet there is somewhere to find this within the forum but so far its a DNF.

Hi HD'98',

When you go back to the cache listing, and click on "log your visit", you will be taken to a form allowing you to make a log entry indicating: 'Found it', 'Didn't find it', 'Write note', 'Needs archived', 'Needs maintenance'. In this case, to log the cache you found, you will select 'Found it'. Then enter the date you found it. Under comments, enter some information about your visit, if you traded items, what you thought of the cache, the location, etc. Click 'Submit log entry'.

Your log will be saved on the main page and the owner will recieve an e-mail notifying him/her about your log entry.

As far as, "Is the find verified?" . . . do you mean, is somebody going to check up on you to see if you really found the cache or not, the answer is maybe, maybe not. Everybody plays the game differently.

As you are entering the info in the log, the only info entered will be what you write, so there will be no identifying info entered if you don't give it.

Is that what you had in mind?

Cache On!

JohnTee

Hi HD'98',

When you go back to the cache listing, and click on "log your visit", you will be taken to a form allowing you to make a log entry indicating: 'Found it', 'Didn't find it', 'Write note', 'Needs archived', 'Needs maintenance'. In this case, to log the cache you found, you will select 'Found it'. Then enter the date you found it. Under comments, enter some information about your visit, if you traded items, what you thought of the cache, the location, etc. Click 'Submit log entry'.

Your log will be saved on the main page and the owner will recieve an e-mail notifying him/her about your log entry.

As far as, "Is the find verified?" . . . do you mean, is somebody going to check up on you to see if you really found the cache or not, the answer is maybe, maybe not. Everybody plays the game differently.

As you are entering the info in the log, the only info entered will be what you write, so there will be no identifying info entered if you don't give it.

Is that what you had in mind?

Cache On!

JohnTee

Thanks John - that clears things up. We (wife and I) will continue and hope to "put one out" later this year after we've seen several and obtain a better feel for location, stash, access etc.