Explorist 500 Battery Charging

MarilynB

Ok, so I just got my new Explorist 500 minutes ago, I plugged it in to charge (they say 4 hours) my question is this, is there any outward indication on the unit that it is charging?

If you turn it on during charging, there should be a battery "capacity" indicator... This should indicate state battery is in, so yes there is probably a charge indicator...

Dale

You can turn the unit on and change the screen until you see the battery meter at the bottom...it'll say charging or something to that effect...if it's plugged into the computer, you'll have to change the connection to power only to veiw the screens!!

It'll charge while on, so no problem with turning it on!!

I also have the car adapter, I use the adapter while driving, it also charges while on...pretty cool, no battery loss while enroute to the next cache!! The only drawback to all this is that you MUST use the computer cable even in the car...(charger hooks into the little jack on the cord)...I take mine right from the computer to the car, but you could buy a different cable for the car as well!!

You can turn the unit on and change the screen until you see the battery meter at the bottom...it'll say charging or something to that effect...if it's plugged into the computer, you'll have to change the connection to power only to veiw the screens!!

It'll charge while on, so no problem with turning it on!!

I also have the car adapter, I use the adapter while driving, it also charges while on...pretty cool, no battery loss while enroute to the next cache!! The only drawback to all this is that you MUST use the computer cable even in the car...(charger hooks into the little jack on the cord)...I take mine right from the computer to the car, but you could buy a different cable for the car as well!!

Thanks Roddy, I was wondering if I could turn it on while it is charging so this is good to know.

My main question was with the unit off is there an indication it is charging...you know a little LED somewhere like all my cameras have..

So far the only thing I have done with this is play with the pretty color screens :D

It's sooo easy to download maps to this...once you do it, you'll be amazed!! I love the detail it gives, you'll even be able to get the phone number of the gas station down the road!! I played with mine for quite some time before actually using it...I did finally use it later that day to hide a few caches...and check the accuracy of some older hides I did with my Garmin...so much to play with on a new toy!!!

I had to reboot the entire unit yesterday as I left it out in my Jeep in 6* weather...a big NO NO!!! It wasn't overly hard, but I'd rather NOT have to do that again!! So...be sure to take the unit in if it's cold out!!!

I would have liked an external charge indicator too, but it's not too big a deal!!!

HAPPY CACHING!!!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy