Which Software do I need?

casey97

I have a Venture Cx. I have recently bought a 1 gig card for less than twenty bucks. Now I need map software, but am confused by all the available options. What is the difference between ver 8 and ver 8 NT? Also, would I be able to use turn by turn direction from my GPSr with older (that is cheaper) versions of City Nav? Would turn by turn work from the GPSr with ver 4? 5? etc.?

So, for all you GPSr sages, please help a lowly newbie with his query.

What is the difference between ver 8 and ver 8 NT?

The compression scheme. The data is supposed to be identical.

Also, would I be able to use turn by turn direction from my GPSr with older (that is cheaper) versions of City Nav? Would turn by turn work from the GPSr with ver 4? 5? etc.?

I assume it would work fine with New Old Stock CN. The problem will be finding NOS and not used-with-unlocks-consumed. If you buy old/used and have to buy an unlock from Garmin it might be a wash. Hopefully someone with more experience with using older CN can chime in.

I'm in the same boat as the OP but would like to add a few questions. I guess this might be better answered by a few Canadians as I am looking at mainly maps of Canada, but I woudl prefer a good map of NA over any map of JUST Canada.

I will mainly be using my Venture CX for geocaching and the odd road trip here and there. The basemap for my neck of the woods really does suck. Heck my street isn't even on it and the turn by turn routing today had me turning off the hwy into the Fraser River - nowhere near where the bridge is to cross it.

Ideally I would like a map that shows bodies of water (lakes, creeks, rivers etc.) as well as streets and roads and a good selection of POI's.

I went to the Garmin site and looked at the map choices and this is what I have seen from using the online examples of the software.

Metroguide Canada v.4 includes the lakes and parks and such, but the road detail is lacking (I noticed it is missing a few roads in my neck of the woods).

Metroguide NA v.8 that has much more detailed roads, but is lacking rivers and bodies of water etc. at least it does lack them in the viewer example they provide online at their website. There is a creek missing as well as it doesn't show parks and such in green like Metroguide Canada does.

City Navigator NA v.8 seems to be identical to Metroguide NA.

Topo Canada doesn't have the POI's the others have but does have nice parks and such listed, but it also is behind the times with roads and such, much like Metroguide Canada v.4.

City Select NA v.7 seems to be identical to Metroguide NA.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in the same boat as the OP but would like to add a few questions. I guess this might be better answered by a few Canadians as I am looking at mainly maps of Canada, but I woudl prefer a good map of NA over any map of JUST Canada.

I will mainly be using my Venture CX for geocaching and the odd road trip here and there. The basemap for my neck of the woods really does suck. Heck my street isn't even on it and the turn by turn routing today had me turning off the hwy into the Fraser River - nowhere near where the bridge is to cross it.

You have uncovered Garmin's secret plot to murder canucks. They are trying to practice eugenics. The truth is out there. Don't let them fool you into driving into a river. That won't happen to me a seventh time. I know that no matter what my Venture Cx says, my car will not drive on water, or in mid-air (darn that Harry Potter, and all of J. K. Rowling's lies).