GPX check box

501_Gang

I was wondering if it was possible to add a check box on the maps page and/or search page that would allow us to save a GPX file like you can a LOC.

Since going paperless it's such a pain to make bookmarks, then a PQ to get the GPX file.

That would be sweet if only for premium members.

Jeremy has mentioned that he's not in favor of this. That's why the PQs supposedly run during low stress times on the server - to reduce the load.

The analogy he used - The LOC file (and consequently the search results) are like a table of contents. The GPX file is the whole book. Makes sense to me. With the LOC files, you're getting the waypoint name and the coordinates. The GPX has everything.

With complaints of the server running to slow and downtime where the server doesn't respond at all, I would think an on-the-fly GPX download would grind the server to screeching halt.

Ah, didn't know that. Maybe it could be considered for a Members only benefit which might help add more paying members which could help buy a bigger server to help with the stress they would cause.

Just a thought.

I'm not complaining about the site, it runs great for me and I very seldom have had a major slow time. Luck of the draw or something. I've seen others complain of it but wonder if they are still using dialup though.

Edited by 501_Gang

Just checking to make sure the OP knows about the lightning fast way to add caches to a bookmark list. Pull up the Geocaching.com Google Map, specify which bookmark list to use, focus the map on the caches you want, click the bookmark button next to each cache name, and you can add 20 caches to the list just as fast as you can click 20 times.

Greetings Leprechauns,

I've tried that method a few times and noticed that after checking a few pages of caches like that, some will dissapear. It does seem to have some advantages though and is better than seting up the bookmarks page by page though.

I really appreciate your help and I'll keep messing around with this method, maybe I'm hitting something or doing something to delete a cache or two as I'm setting it up.

Thanks again,

I was wondering if it was possible to add a check box on the maps page and/or search page that would allow us to save a GPX file like you can a LOC.

Since going paperless it's such a pain to make bookmarks, then a PQ to get the GPX file.

You mean you don't have PQ's set up to send you every unfound cache within 100 miles twice a week?? LOL Where'd I get the idea that was mandatory?? :D:D:o:P

Once you have 'em all, it's a piece o' cake to filter down to just what you want if you use Geocaching Swiss Army Knife. Those GPX files can be awfully big; I can see why a high priority request for multiple files would be a strain on the system.

Happy Trails,

Ah, didn't know that. Maybe it could be considered for a Members only benefit which might help add more paying members which could help buy a bigger server to help with the stress they would cause.

Just a thought.

I'm not complaining about the site, it runs great for me and I very seldom have had a major slow time. Luck of the draw or something. I've seen others complain of it but wonder if they are still using dialup though.

GPX files are a Premium Member benefit already, so any additional way of getting them would automatically be a PM benefit.