Distance Question...

Colombian Princess

I've been geocaching for a little while so I'm still rather new. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

A Multi-cache icon is used if you have two geo-caches that are too close (within 500ft?) to be considered individual caches.

But here's my problem:

I want to point out a couple small fossils displayed in a shopping center in the area. In one of them, I can easily hide a small container, making it a real cache. The other fossil about two or three stores down and I don't think I can successfully hide a cache there without it being rather obvious so I wanted to make that one a virtual cache.

And here's my questions:

-Can you multi-cache combine a real cache + a virtual cache?

-What is the distance allowed between a real cache and a virtual one?

- Should I just pick the one cache with a note to go around the corner and visit the other one?

I don't know, just wanted to ask and see what ideas you all can come up with to help me with this little dilemma I'm having. :huh:

Thanks,

Colombian Princess

I think you may be a bit confused.

A multicache is a series of caches that lead to a final - each giving some clue to the next. All considered a single cache listing. Some of the stages may be virtual (no container) but all part of a larger single cache. These stages may be closer than 500 feet to each other but must be more than 500 feet from any other cache (single or steps of another multi).

I would use the one fossil case to somehow give a clue as a stage to the final cache at the second fossil case.

How well does your GPSr work "in" the mall? Avoid making your real cache hide "commercial". Seek permmision from the mall owners/store involved before the bomb squad is called by security.

For your virtual you will have to use Waymarking.com. You could mention the virtual in the description if your real cache if you can get it approved.

Email a reviewer if you have more questions about what is allowed. :huh:

Is not inside a mall. Is just a shopping center with like a grocery store, some clothing stores, a hair salon, that kind of stores. And the fossils are displayed outside, on the sidewalk for everyone to see as they walk by.

I think I may just hide the one with the container and mention in that cache that they can see another interesting item ( is a HUGE shark mouth, fully open with like 7 rows of teeth :huh:) at the following coordinates, adding it as a waypoint. Does that sound ok?

Sure - but if you want to insist that they visit those locations, you can incorporate them into the clue as StarBrand suggested. Otherwise, I would worry that people would drive up, get the cache and drive away. But it's your call.

If they're interesting as well, you might see if the points fit into a Waymarking category.

I want to point out a couple small fossils displayed in a shopping center in the area. In one of them, I can easily hide a small container, making it a real cache. The other fossil about two or three stores down and I don't think I can successfully hide a cache there without it being rather obvious so I wanted to make that one a virtual cache.

Thanks,

Colombian Princess

there is a multi near me just like that. you go to a monument and using what's on it change the waypoint, use the new waypoint to locate a traditional cache.