Is there a way to do this?

Want2bemore

There is a cache in my area that is in need of some major repair. The last visitors was in over a month ago and said that the cache was full of mold and such. I would love to repair it, but would want to bring it home and such. I just don't want someone else to go look for it and not find it. The owner of the cache hasn't logged in for over 4 years. Is there a way to disable it? Here is the link to the cache.

Also, if I could, I would love to adopt it. What would I need to do for that? I know normally the owner would make the appropriate changes, but what would I do about this one?

Edited by Want2bemore

There is a cache in my area that is in need of some major repair. The last visitors was in over a month ago and said that the cache was full of mold and such. I would love to repair it, but would want to bring it home and such. I just don't want someone else to go look for it and not find it. The owner of the cache hasn't logged in for over 4 years. Is there a way to disable it? Here is the link to the cache.

Also, if I could, I would love to adopt it. What would I need to do for that? I know normally the owner would make the appropriate changes, but what would I do about this one?

Contact your local reviewer. After he looks into the issue, you may be able to adopt it.

We had an almost identical situation once, including a cache owner that had moved out of state and hadn't logged on in years. We contacted the cache approver and he told us it would be easier for us to remove the old cache and start over with one of our own in the same location. He archived the old cache, we removed the old cache box, planted a new cache in the same area, submitted the new cache request, and the same cache reviewer approved it for us.

If you aren't interested in taking over the cache, you could just post a note in the cache's log stating that you have taken the cache home for maitainance and post another note when you return it. Although, a few people do cache without reading the cache pages, most will probably see your note.

Oddly it appears that there is no cache reviewer attached to these caches. You can still send a note by clicking on "Log Your Visit" and then select either "Needs Archived" or "Needs Maintainance" from the drop down menu. The message should be sent to whomever the local cache reviewer is. Or, you could look at some of the newer caches near the moldy ones and see who their cache approver is then send them an email explaining the situation and include the waypoints for the caches in question.

Oddly it appears that there is no cache reviewer attached to these caches. You can still send a note by clicking on "Log Your Visit" and then select either "Needs Archived" or "Needs Maintainance" from the drop down menu. The message should be sent to whomever the local cache reviewer is. Or, you could look at some of the newer caches near the moldy ones and see who their cache approver is then send them an email explaining the situation and include the waypoints for the caches in question.

Needs maintenance logs do not go to the reviewer, only Needs Archived logs do.

In a case where the cache is older and no Published log exists, use the "all nearby caches" link on the page and find a more recent one. As sbell111 suggested, gpsfun would be the reviewer to contact for the two caches in question.