Problems Downloading Waypoints to Garm eTrex Legend

:ph34r:

I have been trying to download waypoints into my Garmin eTrex Legend to no avail. I keep getting the message "This program received data it could not understand". As far as I know I have set up my preference correctly on my GPS and in Easy GPS, however, still having problems.

I am using a 9 pin serial converter to a USB port. Any suggestions as to why I am getting this error message or what I may be doing wrong.

Thanks to all of you in geocaching land.

I had not chosen the correct driver on my computer for the port. We are using Belkin converter and had to chose that driver in the computer. When doing initial setup from Belkin software you have to chose the correct driver/port for it to download from. Hope this helps if not let me know and I'll try and go back to remember step by step what I did.

I figured it out. Now working perfectly.

I have been having the same problem. I can't get my eTrex to work with the USB to serial converter cable. What did you do to finally make it work? I have changed all the settings on the GPS device and it still isn't working.

Thanks,

earthexplorers

earthexplorers,

In addition to pilgrimsprogress solution of drivers, you may also want to check . . .

Which interface the software you are using is expecting. My M$ Streets and Trips uses "NIMEA In/NIMEA Out" and GSAK uses the "Garmin" interface.

Which interface is set up in your Garmin ('Main' - 'Setup' - 'Interface').

Which COM Port your USB adapter is using and which the computer is expecting. I have three USB ports on my laptop and each has a different COM Port address. The COM Ports that are indicated as available vary depending which one I'm plugged into. You may want to plug your USB adapter into one port and then cycle through the COM Port selections that your software gives you.

This may seem like a "DOH" suggestion, but make sure your Garmin is 'ON'.

JohnTee