Map Create Sorftware question- I Finder H20

JAW1971

Hi

I have been reading these boards trying to find an easy answer. There is some great info on here!

I have an Ifinder- I am trying to create a custom map to put on a PNY 1gig card. We are trying to get from Maine to Florida on that card. I called the tech support and he said to draw a border around a few states- hit create map, then draw my next border, hit create map and just layer the 'green' border maps on top of each other.

Well we tried that and it seems to just be timing out. We highlighted ME, CT, MA, VT, NH and it worked fine. Then we drew a border around part of NY, PA, NJ and maybe it was Maryland, and when we went to hit create map- it sat there for over and hour- and timed out (My computer came up saying that I had low virtual memory, and this was the only application running)

So, has anyone put the whole cost or more then a group of states on a card? The Card is formatted and the card reader recognizes it, so its not the card, at least I do not think it is.

Can I do more then one 'map' on the same card?

Like can i do 3 states, save it as MAP1, then save it to the card and do 3 more states or 2 states and save it to the card as map2?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Jen

I can verify that you can put multiple maps on the card. The receiver will automatically load the maps depending on your position.

I know that users have had varying success with different brands of SD cards in the Lowrances. You might want to take a trip over to Airmapper's site here:

http://www.sitekreator.com/geo-lowrance/index.html

There is a topic in the forums about cards that worked and didn't work. One user acquired and was going to try a PNY 1GB card, but didn't yet post back with results. You might want to PM him to ask about his results.

I'd suggest trying to load a smaller map section first -- maybe a square 25 miles or so to see your results. I can't speak to multi-state maps because I've never tried to load one that large.

Also, I don't know the capabilities of your computer. These mapping programs can require a lot of processing power on that end, especially for such large maps.

Thanks

I have already done 3 states on one card,a smaller card of course.

I did CT, NH, VT, MA on one card and that worked fine

There has been some talk regarding Lowrance units preferring the SanDisk brand MMC/SD cards. Not sure if this is affecting your attempts to create, but using the SanDisk cards helped me get through a similar situation, with my iWay 100m.

So I was able to load 64mb onto the card so far, are you saying that even though I have gotten SOME Map on there- that the card could still be the issue?

I am defintly going to try to break it up into smaller pieces onto the card- save it under different names..if that does not work, then I will buy a brand card that seems to work for everyone

Select a smaller area , that is probably way to much info to process for your computer at one time . Make smaller maps and you can load them easily. You have to realize that cities included in that area have a lot of information. If the card is a problem it will tell you tight away.

So I was able to load 64mb onto the card so far, are you saying that even though I have gotten SOME Map on there- that the card could still be the issue?

I am defintly going to try to break it up into smaller pieces onto the card- save it under different names..if that does not work, then I will buy a brand card that seems to work for everyone