60CSX Compass revisited

Ok lets see if I get this straight. Can I turn the compass off and still have the unit pointing towards the cache that I have as my GoTo location? If so, then why would we ever want to use the compass for geocaching? Its been a long holiday season and my brain might be overloaded so I fugured I might as well just ask.

Happy New Year to ALL

When you're moving in a straight line, and at a good pace, the GPS can extrapolate the units orientation, though it has to make a few assumptions to do so. So the electronic compass is not needed in this case. But when you slow down, come to a stop, lose signal lock, or move in erratic directions, the GPS is no longer able to perform this trick. That's when the electronic compass comes in.

I had read another post about the electronic compass, and some folks said they just don't use it.

So, I says to myself, "Self, give it a try without the EC."

So I did. And I wern't happy.

As stated above, while moving it did a good job. But when I stopped to look around, as I do often,

it was pointing in different directions. It actually took a few times to remember I had it off. I turned it back on and off we went to happy cache land.

So, I will be using the EC from now on. But, thats just me and I'm kinda like that, 'ya know? :laughing:

PP