Downloading eBook Format Waypoints

dbrockhouse

After typing in the zip code that I want to lookup I display the first of many pages that lists the caches in the area of the zipcode. There is a check box next to each. I check the ones that I want to download and then go to the bottom of the page where it says " Waypoint Downloads

To download geocaches, check the box to the right of each listing you wish to download. When you're done, click the download" . A screen comes up and asks where I would like to download them. I choose a location that I can get back to. I notice that the program downloads the file with a .loc extention.

I then open up the mobipocket that I have on my desktop and try to open the file that I downloaded by trying to import it and by just trying to open it. Neither works. I am sure it has something to do with the .loc extension.

I have also tried this on the mobireader on my Treo 700W it too cannot open the files.

Does anyone know how to download info that mobipocket can open?

You have to be a premium member and get the caches via pocket query. The pocket query page, toward the bottom, has a box to check to get the pocket queries in that format. You can import the .loc files into GSAK and then export them as html, and then convert the html somehow into Mobipocket format, if there is a converter. I prefer Plucker by far, and it's free. You can have the Plucker distiller, or even better, Sunrise desktop, convert the html files generated by GSAK into Plucker files, for reading on your Palm with the Plucker viewer. The .loc files don't have much information, though, and you're much better off paying the $3 and getting pocket queries in .gpx format, or you can go ahead and get the ebook format.

Yeah, Mobi is the bottom of the barrel for ereaders. All you can do is read a static file. Plucker is orders of magnitude better. And if you use GSAK first, you can get even better information. You can index and get the ability to sort on almost anything you want, via the html files generated.

I originally got MobiPocket because some books I wanted could only be purchased in that format. I hated the reader, and its lack of capabilities. I eventually found that I could get the same information for free off the internet, format it with Plucker, and have a much more useful app. Plucker can go out and get any web page for you and put it on your Palm, and the Sunrise desktop will also get all your RSS feeds if you want. Very good program, very well supported, and it's free.