Help with first purchase

Drafin

I have a very basic question that I am sure will make most of you laugh.

Do the units that display streets and maps also display longitude and latitude coordinates?

I need a unit that can do turn by turn directions as well as maps as well as let me do geocache. Is this to much to ask in one handheld unit?

I have read a lot here on the site and a bunch of faqs and can't seem to find that info anywhere. If someone can direct me to the answer or answer it for me please let me know. I have been reading here for a few years and have finally decided to start hiking.

Thanks in advance,

Drafin

Look for hand held units that are also listed for mapping or auto navigation. These will work for both geocaching, display position as Lat/Lon, and do turn-by-turn street navigation.

There are a lot of choices and it can be a bit overwhelming. Also note that the maps for auto-nav are typically at additional cost, even if the unit contains a base map. Mapping software is proprietary to each manufacturer so you have to buy the maps offered by the maker of the GPSr.

Accessories (car power adapters, mounts to secure your unit in your car while navigating, cases, screen protectors) will also add to the total cost of a unit. Accessories are things that can typically be added over time as need and budget allow.

The forums are very helpful. Refer to the FAQ, there is a lot of valuable info and links to help. There is also a buying guide on the geocaching.com site.

Good luck and happy tracking!

Look for hand held units that are also listed for mapping or auto navigation. These will work for both geocaching, display position as Lat/Lon, and do turn-by-turn street navigation.

Very cool and thanks... just the kind of info I was looking for.

Any suggestions for a good multi purpose unit to start my research with?

Drafin