Pocket Queries

Kane Krew

Hey folks, I looked and looked and could not find information related to how to go about getting pocket queries.

I have been a paper cacher for years and only recently got my first PDA (a Palm TX) and would love to go paperless. I have been a premium member for quite a while as well.

I am surprised that I can not find information related to this topic on geocaching.com or in these forums.

Any assistance qould be greatly appreciated!

Kane Krew (Dad)

Hey folks, I looked and looked and could not find information related to how to go about getting pocket queries.

I have been a paper cacher for years and only recently got my first PDA (a Palm TX) and would love to go paperless. I have been a premium member for quite a while as well.

I am surprised that I can not find information related to this topic on geocaching.com or in these forums.

Any assistance qould be greatly appreciated!

Kane Krew (Dad)

Try This Paperless caching To me it's all greek but my wife loved the instructions! I'm getting a PDA for Christmas, so I'll be right behind you to learn how. B) Also for all future want to knows....it's in the FAQ's up top. Look for a post by Keystone.

El Diablo

Muchas Gracias Diabalo!

This is exactly what I needed. Maybe this thread will become a but of a primer on Pocket Queries.

Thanks to the cacher who sent me the link above as well.

I'll try to keep the forum up to date on my success.

Thanks again!

Kane Krew

Pocket Queries are a bit challenging at first. You must be a Premium Member to use the Pocket Query (well worth the price!). Here is what I do:

1. Log into Geocaching and go to My Account. On the right ride menu there is a selection uner Premium Members that says Build Pocket Queries. Click on this.

2. This opens My Pocket Queries. Click on pink box Create a New Query.

3. This brings up a new page Pocket Queries with many selection boxes. I personally use:

Query Name: I call my Weekly 300

Days to Run: I run mine on Thursday so I can load up my GPSr for Friday caching (I usually have Friday afternoon off). The Pocket Query runs automatically from PST starting at about 8:00 am. But there have been times I have not received my weekly Pocket Queries until noon MST on Friday - too late for my to update my GPSr and Palm, so I switched to Thursday so I can load up Thurs evening. Just my personal preference!

Show me 300 caches (default is 100 - you can have as many as your GPSr holds - usually 500)

Select Types: Traditional, virtual, multi, unknown

Select container: Any

That: I haven't found (there are many choices here that may seem logical but can make your selection so narrow that you end up with 0 caches. I'll explain more late on) and Is Active

Terrain: change drop down to: less than or equal to: and then I use 3.5

Difficulty: change drop down to: less than or equal to: and then I use 3.5

Within: States/Provinces: Colorado (OK for me, put in your area)

From Origin: I use the coordinates of my house, but use what ever works best for you

Check mi for miles, km for kilometers

Placed during: I use None Selected, but again your choice

Attributes to Include/Exclude: I have not used this, but it is a nice feature, especially if you need to exclude special terrain due to physical limitations.

Output to: I use my account's default email address, but you can choose another if you like

Format: I have a Garmin, so I use the .GPX files

I also Compress to .zip file

I do not ask for eBook format

Pocket Queries are a bit challenging at first. You must be a Premium Member to use the Pocket Query (well worth the price!). Here is what I do:

1. Log into Geocaching and go to My Account. On the right ride menu there is a selection under Premium Members that says Build Pocket Queries. Click on this.

2. This opens My Pocket Queries. Click on pink box Create a New Query.

3. This brings up a new page Pocket Queries with many selection boxes. I personally use:

Query Name: I call it My Weekly 300

Days to Run: I run mine on Thursday so I can load up my GPSr for Friday caching (I usually have Friday afternoon off). The Pocket Query runs automatically from PST starting at about 8:00 am. But there have been times I have not received my weekly Pocket Queries until noon MST on Friday - too late for my to update my GPSr and Palm, so I switched to Thursday so I can load up Thurs evening. Just my personal preference!

I select Run This Query every week on the day checked (I have checked Thursday)

Show me 300 caches (default is 100 - you can have as many as your GPSr holds - usually 500)

Select Types: Traditional, virtual, multi, unknown

Select container: Any

That: I haven't found (there are many choices here that may seem logical but can make your selection so narrow that you end up with 0 caches. I'll explain more late on) and Is Active

Terrain: change drop down to: less than or equal to: and then I use 3.5

Difficulty: change drop down to: less than or equal to: and then I use 3.5

Within: States/Provinces: Colorado (OK for me, put in your area)

From Origin: I use the coordinates of my house, but use what ever works best for you

Radius: I use 50 miles

Check mi for miles, km for kilometers

Placed during: I use None Selected, but again your choice

Attributes to Include/Exclude: I have not used this, but it is a nice feature, especially if you need to exclude special terrain due to physical limitations.

Output to: I use my account's default email address, but you can choose another if you like

Format: I have a Garmin, so I use the .GPX files

I also Compress to .zip file so my ISP doesn't kick anything back as a suspected virus

I do not ask for eBook format

Then Submit Information. The information will be submitted and you will get another page that is entitled Pocket Queries. Select Preview the Search and see if you are getting the Pocket Query you want. If there are no caches or very few, you have made the query parameters too specific (yes, I've done this myself). Just uncheck items under Selected Types and/or Attributes and click on Submit Information (again). The info will be resubmitted. Preview again until you get what you want.

If you want the pocket query right away, click on the day of the week you want the query (you can run the query daily if you want, but that is really overkill and a waste of Geocaching.com's server time.) Remember to account for PST in your "day." Once you have your first Pocket Query, you can then get on a weekly schedule by unchecking the days you don't want the query to run and just leave one day checked (probably Thursday or Friday). The click on Submit Information to amend the Pocket Query.

I then use Geocaching Swiss Army Knife to organize my .GPX files and upload the date to my GPSr and my Palm PDA. I use CacheMate on my PDA. I have paid for both these programs (under $40 for both) and feel it was a great investment for the money due to the time it saves and supports the Geocaching community! (Note: I have no financial interest in either of these products and there are other great products out there. This is just my personal choice.)

Once you have the hang of weekly pocket queries, you can also use Google Earth to make a route. Click on Premium Members, Find Caches Along a Route. (You do need Google Earth loaded on your computer http://earth.google.com/. It is free for the basic version.) You will need to save the route as a .KML file to your hard drive, go back to Geocaching.com, My Account, Pocket Queries, green box Find Caches Along a Route (limited to 500 miles or 500 caches), Upload GPX/KML, Browse to find .KML file you saved on your hard drive), Upload, Create Pocket Query, follow above directions.

I tried to be very detailed because I learned through trial and error, so hopefully you will avoid my previous mistakes!

Take care,

Outspoken1