Creepy cacher

bluet

I had a cacher who said he could not sign my log as the pencil was broke. Too bad for him, the cache was within 500 feet of my house. That same day I noted the cache was fine and deleted the find.

Sometimes faked "find" logs will make cachers waste time thinking a MIA cache is really there. Other than that, I don't care who posts a log to my caches.

Um ... don't those two paragraphs kinda contradict each other? :(

Interestingly the Italian ones are 900 miles and a stretch of sea apart - difficult to do on the same day. This suggests a number of options: a ) first one done early, caught a plane/very fast train/rocket, did the second one late; b ) catching up on logging caches done some time ago and unaware of the basics of date entry, or; c ) it's Walter Mitty.

Note: Other options may be available.

If he logged one of mine online and there was nothing in the logbook without giving a good reason then no discussion - log gone. Too easy. At least he isn't trashing caches like an idiot in this area recently.

maybe he possibly has friends helping him. Also, can you name the cacher because something just like that is happening in my area.

I once had an experience where I saw two people actually declare their intentions to kill each other and then go into nearby rooms where they actually had guns, whereby they actually loaded those guns with the thought of actually using them.... :wub: puts it in perspective.

And did you vacate the vicinity??? :wub:

While I agree that there's a difference between first-hand threatening experiences - I've had a few myself, although none, thank the gods, involving guns other than a threat to return with one** - there HAVE been cases of internet issues leading to real-life injury or death.

For example, there was a case a year or so ago that involved two women who participated in a discussion list about Rat Terriers. One was unbalanced, and problems arose between them on-line. The final result was that the unbalanced one created a fake online identity, posed, through e-mail, as someone interested in buying a puppy, gained entry to the other woman's house, and killed her.

**I used to work in retail customer service, and any time you work with the public, you encounter crazy people. I also once got involved - simply by being present & knowing one of them- in an issue involving people physically assaulting each other in public.

:( I have had a guy carrying a gun asking us what we were doing, we told him and he's like "people will kill you for a dollor these days, glad your friendlys!"

I once had an experience where I saw two people actually declare their intentions to kill each other and then go into nearby rooms where they actually had guns, whereby they actually loaded those guns with the thought of actually using them.... :) puts it in perspective.

Some anonymous stranger who has no idea who I am or where I live saying "death to nonaeroterraqueous," would not bother me much. Someone tailgating me on the freeway is another, more imminent, threat.

What makes you think the anonymous stranger does not know who you are or where you live?

I can assure you it would not take that anonymous stranger very much time and effort to gain that knowledge if heshe does not already have it. To you the stranger is anonymous, to himher you may NOT be. By definition, that "anonymous stranger" could be someone you know. By definition, YOU don't know who heshe is therefore you don't know heshe doesn't know you. (is that convoluted enough?) B)

Seriousness of a threat is hard to evaluate and MOST threats of the type referenced here are not really intended to be taken as real threats. In this particular threat, I might not call the FBI but I certainly would report it to GC, as apparently has been done.

Online anonymity is a myth.

It is poor judgement to be lulled into a false sense of security just because one thinks heshe is shielded by a pseudonym and a firewall.

Edited by Confucius' Cat