GPS for geocaching

cindykrak

OK guys, I am on a quest for a GPS for my husband. He said he wants one to go geocaching with the kids (7, 5 and 3). The other issue is that my husband travels for work quite a bit so I thought he might end up also using it for finding his way in some unknown city. So, based on all the topics I have read Garmin seems to be the best one and I have researched all the prices.

prices after rebate

legend CX $200

vista CX $225

venture CX $156

60CX $305

60CSX $325

So, do a buy a cheap one for geocaching and once we get the hang of that get him one for traveling later on (birthday in August - I like to plan ahead) Or do I go ahead and get the 60CSX??? I just don't want to be lost in the woods with my 3 kids wishing I spent the extra money for automatic track log.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

csk

OK guys, I am on a quest for a GPS for my husband. He said he wants one to go geocaching with the kids (7, 5 and 3). The other issue is that my husband travels for work quite a bit so I thought he might end up also using it for finding his way in some unknown city. So, based on all the topics I have read Garmin seems to be the best one and I have researched all the prices.

prices after rebate

legend CX $200

vista CX $225

venture CX $156

60CX $305

60CSX $325

So, do a buy a cheap one for geocaching and once we get the hang of that get him one for traveling later on (birthday in August - I like to plan ahead) Or do I go ahead and get the 60CSX??? I just don't want to be lost in the woods with my 3 kids wishing I spent the extra money for automatic track log.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

csk

Go for one of the last 2 depending on if you think he would like the electronic compass or not. The 60x series has as good of reception as you can get, easy to use, can hold maps (but you have to buy them...) and take memory cards to hold yet more maps for large travel territories.

The others are ok and not something to throw back if you went that way either, just not quite as good.

I started out with a 60CS but now use a 60CSx and a VentureCX. I bought the VentureCX as a backup and for the kids to use caching. When I go caching by myself I find I am using the Venture CX more and more. Although it does not hold a lock in heavy cover as well as the 60csx it doesn't keep me from finding the caches. I like it because it is lighter and smaller. I use the lanyard to hang it around my neck when I have to walk 1/4 mile or more to the cache. The lanyard connection on the 60 series is on the side instead of the bottom of the unit and doesn't hang as well. The VentureCX works just fine in the car and is easier to get into and out of the RAM mount than the 60 series. One caveat is that the smaller screen is harder to see in the car with my aging eyes. The little thumb stick on he Venture is annoying at first but once I got the hang of it I found it faster then the rocker button on the 60 series.

The only real difference between the LegendCX and VentureCX (other than color) is that the Venture ships without the mini USB cable and microSD card. I already had the USB cable for my camera and I intended to get a 1gb microSD anyway. I would highly recommend the VentureCX over the LegendCX if you already have the miniUSB cable for another device. You can get a 1gb microSD for about $45. You may already have a spare microSD card sitting around if you upgraded one for a phone, camera, or PDA.

The VistaCX adds sensors for barometric altimeter and electronic compass. Some people feel these are nice to have but definately not necessary for caching, marine, or automobile use. Not worth the extra $ in my view.

You can't go wrong with any of the Garmins you listed but my .02 is that the VentureCX has the most bang for the buck if you already have the cable.

All the GPS units you mentioned can record the track for you.

If your husband will use it a lot for car navigating, I'd go for the 60 due to the larger screen. If he's only going to use it for car navigating say, every 2 or 3 mos, then the Venture might be a better choice.

GeoBC