60 csx tracback help please

superflatz

I am having trouble trying to get the "tracback" feature to retrace original path.

I am following directions on page 31 of the users manual. In step #3 it states to select either "follow road" or "follow track", then press "do not ask again".

However, when I follow steps #1 and #2, I never get the option in step #3. So, when I'm hiking and try to use the tracback feature, it routes me on a direct route instead of showing me how to retraced my steps.

Do I need to reset some default or something? Please help as this is the main reason I bought this unit (for hiking and being able to retrace my steps).

Thanks.

bob hardin :cry:

I am having trouble trying to get the "tracback" feature to retrace original path.

I am following directions on page 31 of the users manual. In step #3 it states to select either "follow road" or "follow track", then press "do not ask again".

However, when I follow steps #1 and #2, I never get the option in step #3. So, when I'm hiking and try to use the tracback feature, it routes me on a direct route instead of showing me how to retraced my steps.

Do I need to reset some default or something? Please help as this is the main reason I bought this unit (for hiking and being able to retrace my steps).

Thanks.

Bob,

try the following:

MENU / MENU / TRACKS

Highlight tracback and press Enter

When the screen comes up you will have the map with your active track log displayed and the message at the botton will say "Select the point you want to TracBack to.

Use the toggle to move the pointer to the beginning of your track. If you started your hike by marking a waypoint, you can select that waypoint. You may need to zoom,/pan to find your desired return-to point.

A window will open with the choice: Follow Road / Follow Track and a check box for "Don't ask Again."

Select Follow Track

The map will come back up. Go to the compass screen. The bearing pointer will point you to the next track point. Start following the pointer and it will take you back on the path you came. Sometimes it can be tricky getting yourself and the GPS synched up to get the track back started, but once in motion it will keep pointing you to the next track point.

You may notice that the pointer may not point you EXACTLY on the same path on the return. Remember that the GPS recorded your position with error when it recorded your track log and on the track back it is reporting your position with error - so twice the error. It is generally a minor affect.

Hope this helps. Happy tracking.

Thanks.

Bob,

try the following:

MENU / MENU / TRACKS

Highlight tracback and press Enter

When the screen comes up you will have the map with your active track log displayed and the message at the botton will say "Select the point you want to TracBack to.

Use the toggle to move the pointer to the beginning of your track. If you started your hike by marking a waypoint, you can select that waypoint. You may need to zoom,/pan to find your desired return-to point.

A window will open with the choice: Follow Road / Follow Track and a check box for "Don't ask Again."

Select Follow Track

The map will come back up. Go to the compass screen. The bearing pointer will point you to the next track point. Start following the pointer and it will take you back on the path you came. Sometimes it can be tricky getting yourself and the GPS synched up to get the track back started, but once in motion it will keep pointing you to the next track point.

You may notice that the pointer may not point you EXACTLY on the same path on the return. Remember that the GPS recorded your position with error when it recorded your track log and on the track back it is reporting your position with error - so twice the error. It is generally a minor affect.

Hope this helps. Happy tracking.

I get to the point where I select where I want to track back to. However, it does not open the follow road/follow track screen. It goes directly to "calculating" and takes me on a straight line to the point I chose. I wonder if I messed something else a while back and need to reset all defaults. Hate to do that though.

Menu-Menu-Setup-System-Routing-

Guidance Method--prompted

Follow Road Method--Prompted

Follow Road Options--What options do you select there?

Strumble is correct, you need to make sure that Guidance Method under the routing set up is set to Prompted. Then you should get the pop up window that asks for Follow Road or Follow Tracks.

The Follow Road Method and Follow Road Options should not affect your ability to TracBack. I have Follow Road Method set to Faster Time and I use TracBack frequently with no problems.

Let us know if this is the problem