I lost someone's TB

USN Radio Chief

:) Today I was out caching and getting a few TB's to haul back home for Thanksgiving. I found a bug with a specific goal and I got it to take with me. I put it in my backpack and headed out. When I got home I relized that somewhere along the trail my backpack pocket was left unzipped and Mr. Travel Bug had fallen out along the trail. I contacted the bug's owner (it hadn't traveled out of the area yet) with an email and offered to replace his bug. I feel really bad that I lost someone's bug. For those of you out there with lost bugs I am sorry my carelessness caused a bug to go MIA. Hopefully a fellow GeoCacher will find him along the trail. Is there anything else I can do correct my mistake of loosing this bug.

If it still in the cache listing the owner needs to move it to an unknown location so people aren't expecting to still find it. (If it's in your inventory the owner should grab it away from you.) It can always be pulled back out if found.

You can give the owner these instructions.

On the bug page, under Travel Bug Owner Options is a pulldown menu labled 'Recalculate Distance', in there is the option "Mark Bug Missing".

Also I wouldn't replace the bug for a good 3-4 weeks as the bug may be found before then.

On a side note, travel bugs are not trade items. Cache owners have no right to place traveling restrictions on other people bugs and you are not obligated to follow one for one trading rules.

I had a coin go missing recently. The person who had it e-mailed me and offer a replacement. I thanked him for his honesty and contacting me. I declined on a replacement because to me that isnt fair to him.

Well long story short the coin was found a month later and is now on the move. So you never know what will happen.

You could also post a note to the cache page to tell people to be on the look out for it along the trail. It might be found, they are cachers after all!

Eartha offers a really good suggestion! I can't tell you the number of times we found caches due to either trampled grass, or other things that may have previously fallen out of caches, like dropped pens or swag. So the bug would at least get the next few owners on the right course!

And, you know, as a TB owner, I find it very cool that you were honest and contacted the owner, and you went out of your way to see how the owner felt. I've had so many go missing, that all someone needed to say was "sorry". That's it. If more cachers were like you, and kind and honest, mistakes happen, it's really not that big of a deal, then it would be more fun to release bugs.

All any of us can do is do our best.