How do I load Garmin Us topo onto my Mapsource

kalabula

I have Garmin Mapsource on my pc right now with City Nav v-8 on it. I just got a copy of Garmin Us Topo and don't know how to load it onto my Mapsource.

I can run it on there but need to insert the disk into my drive everytime.

Also when I go to load maps from Topo to my Etrex Cx I have to remove the memory card from the gps unit and slide it into the card reader on my printer and load maps to it that way. I can't leave it in my gps unit to transfer. This is only with Us Topo though. With my City Nav v8 I can just plug the gps unit in with usb and load maps that way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have Garmin Mapsource on my pc right now with City Nav v-8 on it. I just got a copy of Garmin Us Topo and don't know how to load it onto my Mapsource.

Also when I go to load maps from Topo to my Etrex Cx I have to remove the memory card from the gps unit and slide it into the card reader on my printer and load maps to it that way. I can't leave it in my gps unit to transfer. This is only with Us Topo though. With my City Nav v8 I can just plug the gps unit in with usb and load maps that way.

Remove your current Topo installation using Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

Create a directory on your harddrive and copy the folders/files from the TOPO cd's to it...run setup.

TopoInstall.jpg

Edited by rws

Remove your current Topo installation using Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

Create a directory on your harddrive and copy the folders/files from the TOPO cd's to it...run setup.

TopoInstall.jpg

I started down this path last night (before I saw your post today). When I selected Topo and remove program, it removed all of MapSource including CS and I had to reinstall everything. I also had to reinstall the MapSource update. I did not expect that to happen! What a PITA.

After reinstalling CS and updating MS, I finally just edited the registry as described by Neo Geo in the linked thread. I hate messing around with registries, but this was quite painless and I would recommend it to other not-at-all computer savy neophytes.

If you have already installed Topo, I would definitely edit the registry. If you haven't installed it yet, then rws's approach above may be a good way to go.

I was running Topo off of a cd and for some reason the cd would not work any longer (theres a black smudge on it). When this happened the City Nav that is installed on my harddrive and I have been using for months for some reason would no longer open. I had to reinstall the City Nav software to get it to work.

I think I will remove the current City Nav v8 that I have and install the Topo first as explained above. then I will reload the City Nav and see what happens from there.

Thnks for the tech support so far.

P.s. How do you edit registries? I don't know what this means

P.s. How do you edit registries? I don't know what this means

Follow the link in Sputnik 57's post above to the post by Neo Geo. Neo Geo provides simple, step-by-step instuctions on what to do.

Editing the registry "points" the software to the location on your hard drive where you copy the topo files rather than to the CD drive as is the default.