Disabling a cache for the winter?

markp99

I've had one of my caches muggled in the last ~week. I will be back out to the location to repair the cache, but its in a location where access may be limited to simply too dangerous in Winter/Spring.

The location has a couple wet/water crossings which are very tempermental with rain events. A couple recent finders were forced to DNF (before the muggling) due to high water. There is natural bridge which crosses to a small island in a river - the bridge can become partially submerged. The actual container is in a location on the island with no risk of being washed away during a flood - access is the concern.

I'm concerned that adventurous finders may attempt this cache in the winter. If ice forms in the area near the natural bridge, I am concerned the ice could be unsafe due to moving water beneath.

I have placed appropriate seasonal water warnings on the cache page, as well as the need for good balance to cross the bridge with no hand-holds. I have not placed any winterice warnings.

Do people disable caches in the Winter. Is this a problem??

I have several caches which are almost impossible to reach during our rainy season when the creeks raise. One could kill themselves trying to cross one of the creeks. I've posted warnings. I also have caches located in known bear country and in areas which have rattlesnakes. Those too have warnings. I see no reason to take those caches offline for a season just to help avoid possible problems.

I treat my cachers like big people - they should know what they're getting themselves into when they enter a wilderness. It's not my business to police them and protect them if they wish to go after one of those caches after reading the web page and warnings.

The ones who go after the caches have an idea what to expect and will have an adventure and hopefully some fun with great views. Those who don't wish to attempt them are wise in that they wouldn't be prepaired for what may come their way in the wilderness.

Just for the record: I don't wish any harm to anybody. If a cache doesn't seem safe for your skill levels, PLEASE DON'T ATTEMPT IT.

Do people disable caches in the Winter. Is this a problem??

I can see doing it in the Rockies where a cache might be under 15 feet of snow, but in the northeast we generally don't. Its not a problem because Winter here is the best time for geocaching. Just strap on snowshoes or crampons and you're set.

Most just post a note of warning as you have. As long as the cache is there, you will have extreme cacher try to log it no matter what the conditions are.

El Diablo

I have done that myself for a little adventure. The hider said after a small amount of rain, you WILL get wet. So I waited until after two days of rain, then I went for it with a buddy. One of the best times I ever had!

Note the danger level on the cache page, and leave it. No need to winter-ize it.

Hi Markp99

I found and thoroughly enjoyed the cache you are referring to. the cache may be easier to access in winter due to the ice creating additional routes to get to your island and cachers won't be required to cross the natural bridge.

I'd be more concerned about spring and the flood season...

I've been pondering this myself.

both my caches are near dangerous cliffs that could be nasty if they get iced over.

also, they are both in high muggle areas, and I'm worried that tracks will ensure that they will be muggled. When I've gone to do maintenance, people haven't even bothered to cover the ammo cans back up and they have been sitting out in the fricking middle of the ground in plain site during the fall, so in winter with a trail through the snow right to them, I don't think they'll last long.

I'm hoping it's a nice winter this year and we don't get much snow again.