Re-Calibrating Magellan Explorist

cdikland

Within the FAQ pages on the magellan website one of the "answers" suggest that if your GPS unit has not been used for a long period of time it should be re-calibrated. It (nor any of my documentation) does not say how this is done. Anyone have any idea what they are talking about and how to perform this re-calibration??

Does it really say "recalibrate"? If it does, I'm disappointed. GPS does not need calibration. GPS is simply a calculator, not a measuring device.

That said, what is meant by the statement on the website is that if the GPS is not used for a long period of time (or is moved a great distance between uses) it does not know where it is. Where it expects satellites, there are none.

So... in order to get the GPS back up to speed after a long period of disuse, simply leave it stationary where it has a clear view of the sky. It might take a while for the GPS to acquire satellite lock.10 minutes might be enough, or it might need 20 minutes or more.

Jamie

Within the FAQ pages on the magellan website one of the "answers" suggest that if your GPS unit has not been used for a long period of time it should be re-calibrated. It (nor any of my documentation) does not say how this is done. Anyone have any idea what they are talking about and how to perform this re-calibration??

I have a 500 series...in it there is a menu that lets you "Restart GPS" which is probably what it means. Thay basically starts it searching for satellites like it had when it started for the first time. In case there are new satellites or what not where you are. I guess it basically keeps a memory of where you were and what satelites are used commonly where you are.

Jayman11

Yes, indeed, Magellan recommends "recalibrating". This doesn't seem to make sense for a GPSr, but here's the advice in the FAQ, at http://www.magellangps.com/support/faqdeta...amp;prodid=1097:

Question:

Will my eXplorist become less accurate if I don’t use it for long periods of time?

Answer:

Long periods of storage without calibration will decrease vertical and horizontal accuracy. It is a good idea to recalibrate after storage and before every use to receive the most accurate readings possible.

For vertical accuracy you can recalibrate the altimeter, if you've got one. But for horizontal accuracy, what do you calibrate?