Garmin etrex Legend troubles?

shorbird

Over the past 18 months, I have purchased two Garmin etrex Legends. The first one lost its directional arrow functionality after 8 months(it always points the same way now), but all other functions seem to be OK. With the second one, every so often the screen is filled with gibberish, which may or may not disappear if I smack the unit. Is anyone else having problems with this unit?

Over the past 18 months, I have purchased two Garmin etrex Legends. The first one lost its directional arrow functionality after 8 months(it always points the same way now), but all other functions seem to be OK. With the second one, every so often the screen is filled with gibberish, which may or may not disappear if I smack the unit. Is anyone else having problems with this unit?

Twice it has happened to me, the 1st time it was out of the box for 3 hours, the 2nd time (yesterday) it had no arrow, I changed the batteries then got the arrow but it was broken and not pointing anywhere near where I wanted to go. I changed the batteries again And it fixed its self. The next time it happens I am changing one set of batteries and if it is not better then I am taking it back and get a Magellan.

My Legend is fine after about 18 months light-to-medium duty usage. Other than not locking on so well in tree cover, I've had no problems (and that's not so much a "problem" as a "feature").

If smacking it cures it, there's probably something loose inside. Whether it's a spring in the battery compartment, or something further in, hard to say. You might try with a bit of gentle force, expanding the springy bits that contact the ends of the batteries.

Try new batteries. Try a different brand of batteries. Try wedging something in there to make darn sure the batteries aren't shifting around. I use the Energizer Lithiums in my Legend, work great.

If you have one that always points the same direction, why not send it back? Garmin's customer service gets high marks here (never had to try it myself). The worst that can happen is that you're out postage after finding out it's going to cost too much to fix. With any luck, you'll have a fixed GPSr on it's way back to you.

Edited by JSWilson64