Which PDA to buy for paperless caching?

I want to ditch the hand-scribbled notes on a scrap piece of paper and be able to manage a few caches if I'm traveling. I've seen mention of Palm IIIs being available cheap on Ebay....is that suitable for my needs? Are there other PDA's I should consider...and if so, which ones? Obviously I will need software to manage the waypoints, what is the software of chice for PDA's?

Thanks and please forgive me as I'm a low-tech dude just hoping to make caching a little simpler!!

Thanks and cache on.....

STP

I just bought a palm IIIxe for 21 bucks plus shipping off ebay, you can find them even cheaper.

It's just great. Wish I had it a few weeks ago when we took an unexpected caching trip and I had no info on the caches, just the waypoints. Now I have 500 caches in there, everything within 60 miles.

I just can't recommend it enough. soo worth it. and it's good for old games too, I put lemmings and a whole bunch of games on it.

I'm so hooked now, that I'll probably end up buying a newer palm for newer games and stuff as well.

I found a program called "cache log" that lets you make notes about your cache finds, and when you run pocket queries, you can download the results in ebook format, and see almost everything you'd find on the website.

you can also use the cachemate program to do it as well, People say it's the best out there, same info as ebook, but easier searching and you can add logs and such.

Edited by Bad_CRC

There must be quite a run on PalmIIIxes on Ebay!

I bought two "New In Box" in the last week.

My wife saw mine and had to have one as well!

So far, its doing everything I could ask it to do. GSAK and Cachemate run great with it and with 500 caches (Everything within 60 miles of me) on the PDA, there's still plenty of room to use the PDA for everyday stuff as well.

It's become my constant companion almost overnight!