Magellan 500 LE

T&DJay

I'm considering getting the Magellan 500 LE which uses 3 AAA batteries as opposed to the 500 which uses built in rechargeable Li-ion batteries. My concern with the rechargeable batteries is if they were to go dead while I'm in the woods, I'm out of luck. Whereas I can always carry extra regular batteries with me.

Does anyone have the 500LE? I'm wondering approximately how long the 3AAA batteries last. Magellan seems to list battery life for every other model except for this one which kind of concerns me.

Thanks for your help!

I don't think I explained it well.

The 500LE uses 3 AAA batteries

The 500 North American uses a built-in Li-Ion rechargeable battery

It doesn't look like the 500NA Li-ion rechargeable battery could easily be swapped if it dies in the middle of the woods so I'm leaning toward the buying the one that has 3AAA batteries.

I currently have a 200 which uses 2 AA batteries which will last about 12 hours on any kind of name brand batteries. Does anyone have the 500LE and could tell me approximately how long the 3AAA batteries last? I don't know if there is much difference between 2 - double A and 3 - triple A batteries.

Edited by T&DJay

You can get 10-11 hours from 3 AAA alkalines. I only got about 5 hours from 3 NiMHs. They were new (800 mA rated) and possible not fully conditioned, but I would not expect much more. If you are going to go rechargable, get the LiIion battery or the Motorola replacements. Most of us have at least one extra LiIon battery. They are cheap, at about $10, and can sit for months keeping their charge. This is the best option for the urban car-to-hiking caching that 90% of all do. The AAA pack is considered to be a backups backup.

I don't think I explained it well.

The 500LE uses 3 AAA batteries

The 500 North American uses a built-in Li-Ion rechargeable battery

It doesn't look like the 500NA Li-ion rechargeable battery could easily be swapped if it dies in the middle of the woods so I'm leaning toward the buying the one that has 3AAA batteries.

I currently have a 200 which uses 2 AA batteries which will last about 12 hours on any kind of name brand batteries. Does anyone have the 500LE and could tell me approximately how long the 3AAA batteries last? I don't know if there is much difference between 2 - double A and 3 - triple A batteries.

If you buy the 500NA you can buy an adapter that fits in the case and allows you to use AAAs

I'm sorry if I'm being dense, I'm obviously not very technologically savvy.

So I can buy the 500 LE and use either 3-AAA batteries OR this rechargable battery?

No, you can buy the 500 NA and use an adapter to use AAAs.

Everybody's right. The 500 is the same in both packages; the NA includes the Li-Ino battery (for which you can buy the AAA adapter). THe LE package has the adapter but lacks the Li-Ion battery (which you can buy for $10-$20). The adapter fits into the same space as the Li-Ion.