Magellan Explorist 600

Old Legend

I have an Explorist 600 and finally upgraded my Geocache membership to the premium membership so that I can do the pocket queries. I have been using the Magellan geocache manager but it's slow to load everything into it, modify each one for hints and difficulty, and then download to the gps unit. I have tried to use EasyGPS to load geocaches from Geocache.com to the computer and then to the Gps unit, but it does not show up in the gps unit. Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and how do I load them from Easygps to the gps unit.

Thank you.

EasyGPS is also for USB units....

You either have cable plugged in GPS unit wrong.... Cable needs to be pointed down along back of units body, or you do not have proper parameters (GPS unit ) set up in EasyGPS. Check EDIT dropdown and set "Preferences".

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

Also make sure you are sending the file from EasyGPS to the correct folder on the GPSr, and know if you are sending to the SD card or internal memory. Note that EasyGPS only exports "regular" POIs with the .upt file extension and not the Geocaching POIs with the .gs extension. These regular POI files should be sent to the My POIs folder and not the Geocaches folder.

I have it hooked up properly with the cable running down the back. What should the parameters be set at for the gps unit in easygps. I tried changing the settings and the one setting it wont let me change is where it's supposed to ask for com port, file or usb. It keeps showing file and won't let me change it.

I also tried gsak and could not get it to work either, could someone give me some tips on how to set it up.

I appreciate the help, usually I'm not technically challenged but this thing has me wondering what the Heck I'm doing.

thank you for the help.

I have it hooked up properly with the cable running down the back. What should the parameters be set at for the gps unit in easygps. I tried changing the settings and the one setting it wont let me change is where it's supposed to ask for com port, file or usb. It keeps showing file and won't let me change it.

I also tried gsak and could not get it to work either, could someone give me some tips on how to set it up.

I appreciate the help, usually I'm not technically challenged but this thing has me wondering what the Heck I'm doing.

thank you for the help.

You want file...EasyGPS knows that the Explorist is USB and so it looks to write the file in the folder you specify on the Explorist. You should just have to provide a path and filename.

Instructions for writing files with GSAK are here.

To verify that the GPS is connected to the computer I would use the Windows Explorer on your PC. The GPS's SD card will appear as a new removable disk. (You may have to set the GPSr's communication settings to point at the SD rather than internal memory).

When you first connect the GPS unit to the USB, the GPS unit should report that it is in File Transfer Mode. See the section in the manual under "Advanced Features" and then "Communicating with a Personal Computer".