need help with geocaching/orienteering

nfa

Hi,

I'm working on a cache with an orienteering component as one or two middle stages of a multi, and need some help...

I assume that it is possible to mark waypoints with my GPS and place them on a map for use in orienteering...I would like to print/laminate a bunch of copies of this map and leave it in one stage of my multi, so that geocachers would then have to switch gears, and use the map and a compass to find the next couple of stages, before finding the coordinates for the final stage of the cache...

Can someone give me a slap upside of the head, and point me towards the software/site/explanation of how to do this easily (if such a thing exists)...

Thanks,

Jamie

I think I get what you are trying to do.....

As far as free software, could you use Google Earth??

If you need decimal minutes converted to degrees minutes and seconds, I could certainly help you there.

Be wary of orienteering with coordinates from a recreational GPSr. The error over distance could be great.

Good luck!

First a caveat - I don't have a USGS topo map within arm's reach and haven't used one for awhile, so I'm working from a faulty memory. I think those maps have certain lat/long intersect points marked on them. If so, and one of those existing points is within your cache searching area, why not use it as the spot you lead them to with the GPS and then have them start using the map and compass?

Conversely (and thinking off the top of my head, which is also dangerous), I think you could:

1. Create a waypoint on your GPSr at the spot where you want to start using the map and compass.

2. Create two more waypoints using the coords for two intersect points on your map.

3. Use the "measure distance" function on your GPSr to determine the distance and bearing from each intersect waypoint to your first waypoint.

4. Use the distance and bearing information to plot your first waypoint on the map.

Does that make sense?

Edited by worldtraveler