Picking up TBs in caches I've already visited?

Nutty Squirrel

I've found a few geocoins and TB's so far during my finds, which I've put in other caches. Are the following two scenarios acceptable/encouraged:

1. I learn of a cache I've already found later having a new geocoin added. Can I go pick it up and help it travel to another cache?

2. I already have a geocoin/TB and can't readily find/get-to a not-found cache, but I want to get rid of the coin. Can I put it in a cache I already found?

I've found a few geocoins and TB's so far during my finds, which I've put in other caches. Are the following two scenarios acceptable/encouraged:

1. I learn of a cache I've already found later having a new geocoin added. Can I go pick it up and help it travel to another cache?

2. I already have a geocoin/TB and can't readily find/get-to a not-found cache, but I want to get rid of the coin. Can I put it in a cache I already found?

yes and yes! Both are aceptable! Just sign the log and log it!

If I've been to the cache before, I sometimes log the item out and then log it right back in again. that way if someone is travelling a long distance to find their first coin or a green jeep, they won't get there only to find that I have swooped them.

Edited by Kacky

;) Wouldn't it be easier and more accurate to use the discovered option?

I almost always discover, but I was afraid not to log the GJTB. I know the discover function was created to stop logging in & out of the same cache, but not sure why that's a problem in the first place.

I think it is fine to use caches or TB Hotels that you are familiar with to drop off a TB. Maybe pickup another one and move it along. The TB or Geocoin owner gets no thrill out of it just sitting in a cache.....or waiting for you to go caching again. I had a TB become part of a kids toy box for 6 months....after contacting them they found it and moved it along....

I've even moved TB's between my own caches on cache maintenance days.

Let's reason about this. You said "help it travel to another cache". This is where a bit of soul searching comes into play. Why are you going to a cache you already found to grab anything? Is it *genuinely* to "help"? Or is it to boost your stats or gain something else for yourself? My personal opinion is that if a trackable hasn't been in a cache for 30 days or more it should be left for others who will seek the cache for the first time. If it has been in the cache for 30 days or more then regardless of whether it is in a cache you have found or your own cache, I say it is fair game. My '30 days' is arbitrary. I encourage you to reflect on 'helping the trackable' and 'helping the sport' and 'helping yourself' and come up with your own number of days that strikes a balance between the three.

Definitely, but of the choices available to you consider the TB/coin goals, if any, and choose the one most applicable when feasible.

Another question for you is this: If you have trouble getting to new caches to release the trackables already in your possession (not a bad thing) why are you thinking of going to already found caches to take what is in them (potentially a bad thing)?

It ***sounds*** to me like you have the numbers addiction. This isn't necessarily wrong or bad, but do try and sort things out in your mind. You aren't going to known caches to 'help the TB/coin', you are going there to feed your addiction and if done enough will render your local caches less attractive to first time hunters of bugs/coins because you are making the rounds everytime you learn of one. This deprives others.

Again, if you see a trackable sitting for awhile, by all means grab it and move it. But if you are going to simply keep an eye on already found caches and race out for any trackable left in them then you have an addiction, plain and simple.

Consider writing down the tracking info and logging it for a number and leaving the item for someone else to move.