A place to list potential Mega events?

Cornerstone4

We are planning an event for February that should easily hit the required attendance to merit the Mega icon.

I was trying to set up a PQ to search for other Mega events that are planned, and realized that it isn't possible quite yet.

There is an option in the PQ form to select Mega-Events, and I heard that by doing a shift-click on the State selection box, you can search in all 50 states and bypass the 500 mile radius rule. That is all well and good, but there is still a problem...

We cannot get the Mega icon for our event until the event is over, and we actuallly have 500 people attend. Then, the icon will be changed to reflect the Mega status. I completely understand this. Without this precaution, many people could list events as "Mega", and then not have the required attendance and just say "Oops!" If we get the attendance this year, then next year we can list it earlier, and list it as a Mega.

Here is the rub...following that requirement, unless I am mistaken, the only two events that will be listed as Mega from the start in 2007 will be GeoWoodstock, and the MidWest Geo Bash.

Is there a way for us to track events that should become Mega events so people can plan ahead? Once I get the facilities reservation confirmed for our event, I will post a note in the Organized Caching thread. I can't list it yet though, since we are not officially Mega. However, people still need time to plan vacations and make travel arrangements.

I'm not sure what you're wanting. sounds like you'd like to be able to list further in advance than 3 months?

Exceptions are sometimes made for events that are designed to attract a regional, national or international group of geocachers. Contact your reviewer if you wish to set up such an event, which may be listed up to six months in advance.

I'd follow that advice from the listing guidelines, and contact one of the California reviewers about the possibility of getting your event listed early. Don't confuse that issue with "Mega" - apples and oranges. If it turns out to be Mega you'll get that icon, but that's not the criteria for advance listing of more than 3 months.

Yes, there is a way around the 3 month rule. Thanks for the feedback.

I guess I was hoping for probably isn't practical anyway.

I had seen another thread where people were trying to run a PQ for a Mega event. Since the only 2 that will list as Mega in 2007 aren't on the shedule yet, nothing shows up.

I guess the only alternative right now is for event planners to post their attempts at Mega events in the Organized Caching thread. At least people can browse through there occasionally to look for one.

That just doesn't help the people that don't use the forums.

Since I basically answered my own question, this thread can be locked.

I'm glad the tread wasn't locked! ;)

As I mulled this over, I realized that I just hadn't put all my thoughts together properly, and my original post wasn't specific enough.

What I am wondering is if there can be some way to set up a custom filter in PQ's for Mega events only.

I'd like to be able to search for them, but with the 500 mile limit to a search, I will miss most of the listings.

Once the GW V listing goes live next year, I'd like to have it show up in a query without having to know ahead of time where the event is, and run a PQ there.

Since in the near future, you will probably be able to count the number of Mega events on one or two hands, is there a way to allow a Mega PQ to give global results?

What I am wondering is if there can be some way to set up a custom filter in PQ's for Mega events only.

I'd like to be able to search for them, but with the 500 mile limit to a search, I will miss most of the listings.

Once the GW V listing goes live next year, I'd like to have it show up in a query without having to know ahead of time where the event is, and run a PQ there.

Since in the near future, you will probably be able to count the number of Mega events on one or two hands, is there a way to allow a Mega PQ to give global results?

Setup a PQ, under the "WITHIN" section select all 50 states (assuming your in USA, or whatever country your interested in), and under "FROM ORIGIN" be sure "None Selected" is ticked.

I actually ran this PQ a few days ago and got no results, so I dont think there are any right now.