garmin gpsmap 76S

well this is my first time on here and i haven't done much caching at least yet. but do alot in the woods and was looking for a good unit that offered alot of the features of a higher end model. I have been looking and have the opportunity to purchase a gpsmap 76S. don't see much about them on here, is there a reason for that are they a pretty fair gps and pretty userfriendly for a first timer? i like it because it is a little bigger and all the buttons are on the front.

thanks

Edited by ncgamegitter

My first unit was a GPS Map 76S. It's a fine unit. The size does scare off some, but it can fit in a shirt pocket. I have since gotten a GPS Map 76CS. The user interface has been improved on the newer units, but if you can get this for a good price go for it. Newer units have more memory. Newer units can load data to the memory faster. But this one will direct you to a Cache. I thought mine worked reasonably well around tree cover.

There will be a learning curve for any GPS you buy. And a lot of the manuals are crap. If you get stuck on something just come back and ask.

Remember to hold it pointed toward the sky as much as possible (as in don't hold it flat or level with the ground). Holding a GPS flat seems to be a natural tendency for human beings. My rocker switch would occasionally not respond in one direction (and it's mostly limited to up and down). But that was probably just one fluke unit. By comparison the rocker on the 76CS works like a champ, and there are many more opportunities to use all 4 directions.

Remember this unit has an actual Compass, not just a Pointer Screen. I don't often turn on the Compass, but when you use it make sure it's calibrated. And the built in altimeter is really not all that helpful.

Many GPS units do NOT have a built in Compass. They have a screen that looks just like a Compass, but if you stop moving it has no idea where North is. When you start moving again it can determine the difference between where you were and where you are now. That allows it to show you where North is. This is usually referred to as a Pointer Screen. At a minimum every GPS has a Pointer Screen.

The GPS Map 76S has an actual Magnetic Compass built it. The "S" designation indicates that the unit has this feature. If the Compass is turned on and calibrated it knows where North is even when you are standing still. If the Compass is turned off the Compass display is now a Pointer Screen.

One dumb thing is that a Garmin Compass wants to be held flat to operate properly. Even though this model of GPS wants to be pointed at the sky for best reception. I have found the Compass to be a little forgiving and a 45 degree angle can be an acceptable compromise.

Turning on the Compass also eats up the Batteries faster. Just carry spare rechargeables. But there is a very easy one button ON/OFF toggle for the Compass. If you get this unit, notice the "N" surrounded by directional arrows beside the PAGE button. Press and hold PAGE till you get a message indicating the Compass is now ON or OFF.

I too have both a 76S and a 76CS. There is nothing wrong with a 76S. The only reason I purchased a 76CS is with my old eyes it is just easier to see the color screen. My wife uses the 76S and we always arrive at the same cache at the same time and at times the S seems to be more accurate. I would jump at the chance to buy the 76S and it will do a great job for geocaching. IMHO

team sidewinder

I have had a 76S ever since they came out. I now also have the 76C which I bought mainly for the routing and color screen. My wife also uses the 76S and it works as well as the 76C for geocaching. I just leave the compass off which you can turn on and off with the page button. It is a rugged unit. The wife dropped it on the sidewalk and it didn't seem to hurt it. While traveling in the vehicle between caches, we leave it on the pointer page and route with the 76C in "follow road".

I hope you are getting it for a reasonable price. Dick