Stupid cache idea...

adjensen

... so, who would do it? :rolleyes:

My wife and I were thinking about a travel bug that would have a goal of visiting her six sisters that are scattered around the world. But I'm not really keen on bugs/coins, because mine keep vanishing.

So, last night, as I'm going to sleep, I thought about creating a ridiculous multi-cache. First location is here in Grand Forks, the subsequent locations are where these sisters are (2 in Minneapolis, 1 in Montana, 1 in Seattle, 1 in Colorado, and 1 in the UK) and the final is back here. The sisters can maintain the micros in their locations, which would simply be something that listed the coordinates of the next stage.

I highly doubt that I'd put this out, but it just got me to wondering 1) whether it could be approved and 2) whether anyone would do it.

I would guess that one person/team would eventually do it to be FTF, then no one would ever do it again.

... so, who would do it? :rolleyes:

My wife and I were thinking about a travel bug that would have a goal of visiting her six sisters that are scattered around the world. But I'm not really keen on bugs/coins, because mine keep vanishing.

So, last night, as I'm going to sleep, I thought about creating a ridiculous multi-cache. First location is here in Grand Forks, the subsequent locations are where these sisters are (2 in Minneapolis, 1 in Montana, 1 in Seattle, 1 in Colorado, and 1 in the UK) and the final is back here. The sisters can maintain the micros in their locations, which would simply be something that listed the coordinates of the next stage.

I highly doubt that I'd put this out, but it just got me to wondering 1) whether it could be approved and 2) whether anyone would do it.

I would guess that one person/team would eventually do it to be FTF, then no one would ever do it again.

This sounds like a fun idea to me, and I am awared of are at least six other multi-stage caches in existence which have stages scattered across various states and countries.

Your biggest challenge here will likely be making sure that each of the distant stages are placed properly (i.e., in conformance with geocaching.com requirements and with general cache placement guidelines) and are maintained adequately by the person in that area who has agreed to maintain it. And, who will place those other stages, and who will measure and record waypoint coordinates for them?

I suspect that your next challenge will be deciding whether to insist that each "finder" must visit each site-- and personally sign the logbook -- for each stage of the multi in person in order to claim a find, or whether you will allow "team" finds, wherein a geocacher may find only one stage themselves but might enlist the assistance of local geocachers in Minnesota, Montana, Washington state, Colorado and the UK, who will each find the stage local to them, thus forming a loosely-aligned temporary "team" with each of them for the purpoe of scoring a team find. Some geographically-scattered geocaches allow the latter "temporary and expedient team" type of find, while others explicitly exclude it via a note on the cache listing page. (Me, I would vote for allowing team finds by temporary teams!)

Oh, and yes, I think that such a cache submission would be approved, so long as you adequately deal with the issues which I have iterated in the paragraph which starts with "Your biggest challenge..." and so long as you can demonstrate that to the reviewers.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team